Open That Bottle Night
  Re: (...)
Dorothy Gaiter and hubby John Brecher are the wine editors for my favorite newspaper (Wall Street Journal). Several years ago they created OTBN to get you to finally open that bottle you keep to look at. They encourage you to report to them on the experience and the menu. We were actually published once a few years ago. I tried to start this last year in our CAH community--I'll try again. Look for a nice wine--pair it with a fine dinner on Sat. Feb 23 and report back to us, and to Dorothy and John if you like. We've done it with friends and alone for years. It has turned into a celebration of nothing, for no reason, except for our own pleasure (and what is wrong with that?).
  Re: Open That Bottle Night by Old Bay (Dorothy Gaiter and h...)
What a fun idea! I'm no wine expert, but do enjoy it with a meal. I will contribute what I can, but will probably be the recipient of a lot of great advice. Hmmm...think I'll start a new book in Mastercook and call it Wine Pairing.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Night by Mare749 (What a fun idea! I'...)
Oooh, we do have a few bottles we've been sitting on. I should think up something great to go with the Sebastiani Cherryblock.
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Night by Trixxee (Oooh, we do have a f...)
Maryann, I'm not either, but I like the idea. There is a wine shop up the road a bit that does a wine pairing night on a regular basis. The guy that owns the place is a CIA trained chef that has worked at some pretty upscale places. He's always loved pairing food to wine, so when he got the opportunity, he opened the shop and set up tastings for a reasonable fee. This helps his wine shop and catering business and educates the public. Win win situation!

Hubby has promised that as soon as YS finishes high school and "gets off the payroll" (going into the Coast Guard), we will start doing some of this kind of thing! This cyber experience would fill the bill until then! Gotta find a wine though. And that's my birthday...why not make it extra special with a good wine. I think I'll go to that wine shop and see what the guy recommends and pick up some literature on his classes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Night by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, I'm not eit...)
A boyfriend of our daughter gave us a bottle of Chatteau la fitte Rothchild, about 8 years ago, it's probably time to open it before it turns to vinegar.
  Re: Yes, remind me please by lxxf (A boyfriend of our d...)
It will probably last, but I would open it--have it with a strip and sauce --please report on your experience.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Yes, remind me please by Old Bay (It will probably las...)
We're pretty good about keeping the 'aging' bottles handy so we can look thru them every so often, and it's always fun deciding which way to go - food with the wine or wine with the food.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Night by cjs (We're pretty good ab...)
Man oh man what an idea...I have been playing with a bunch of in state wines of late and am in love with a slightly sweet red from Southern Hills Winery in Osceola, Iowa. It is a wine cooperative...anyway, their Red Sled 2006 was incredible. We got it right before we found out Kambree was on the way and didn't open it for almost a year and it was wonderful. Not a port but still a bit sweet. I am a fan of merlots and Holly likes sweet fruity stuff so this was perfect. Holly has an aunt that thinks she knows wines and always gets all of this odd stuff whenever she travels and most of it is GROSS! Pumpkin spice wine! Rhubarb wine...the list goes on and on and if the bottle looks cool and it is expensive we get it shoved down our throats at holidays and family gatherings...I try to bring something I like and then a bottle of something slightly sweet for everyone else.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Night by cjs (We're pretty good ab...)
Bringing this up again for Jean--
We had grillled strip steaks and a creamed spinach/red bell pepper casserole with a bottle of '03 Bella Vida Willamette Valley Pinot Noir--the last bottle from a case--everything was just outstanding!! We talked about doing a poached pear but didn't--just went without dessert.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Night by Old Bay (Bringing this up aga...)
a Pinot with a cream sauce, that's good to know - it's sometimes hard to match a cream sauce and a red. Was there cheese in the sauce?

I remember this thread now. I hope Maryann (it was Maryann, wasn't it??)will post the response she has been sitting on to see what she matched to what.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com