Chef Cameon's Mussels w/Balsamic Cream & Bacon
  Re: (...)
I don't know if I've ever posted this recipe, but if I haven't, you all have missed out on a really good dish. We love this. This was part of the 'Seafood' dinner.

Cameon's PENN COVE MUSSELS with BALSAMIC CREAM & BACON

1 pound Penn cove mussels (or whatever mussels are available) -- debearded & cleaned
1 T. shallots -- chopped
1 T. garlic -- chopped
2 T. bacon -- chopped
1/3 cup tomatoes - seeded and diced
1/4 cup white wine
2/3 C heavy cream
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. basil -- fresh

In a sauté pan sauté the bacon, shallot, & garlic until the shallots begin to look translucent. Add the mussels and toss with the shallots and bacon.

Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of white wine; add the cream, basil and balsamic vinegar;
Cover the pan and reduce the cream sauce until the mussels are opened. Once the sauce reduced, sprinkle the diced tomatoes over and serve at once in the same pan or transfer to a large bowl.

Any leftovers you may have are wonderful over pasta.

NOTES : TO PREPARE MUSSELS:
Using a clam knife, scrape any barnacle from the shells.
Remove the beard-like strands.
Place the mussels in a bucket & cover w/cool fresh water by about 2".
Agitate the mussels w/your hand in a washing machine motion.
Drain and discard the water.
Repeat several times until the water becomes clear.
Drain again and keep the mussels cool until ready to cook.

Description:
"I first tasted this appetizer during a trip to Seattle area in January of 2001 and after tasting Chef Cameon Orel's mussels, we made two more visits to the Yarrow Bay Beach Café, during the same trip. Chef Cameon graciously shared her recipe."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chef Cameon's Mussels w/Balsamic Cream & Bacon by cjs (I don't know if I've...)
Have not seen it but have it copied for later use now...looks great.

Mussels might be a problem but I have to have the baby in Des Moines on Wednesday so I'll check the market I shop down there while we're between appointments.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by firechef (Have not seen it but...)
A friend brought over some frozen mussels earlier in the year for us to try and I couldn't believe how good they were - so, nothin' stops us now!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by cjs (A friend brought ove...)
Frozen? I'll keep that in mind when I am in Des Moines as the two local grocery store do not even carry them frozen.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by cjs (A friend brought ove...)
hey Jean

they are having a MussleFest the first of March in Coupeville.

Competition for chowders, etc. Fun Week end

Penn Cove Mussels are farmed in the Cove.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by mjkcooking (hey Jean [br][br]t...)
You may have all sorts of fresh seafood but have you ever had "Iowa lobsters?"

Went to Red Lobster, I was desperate okay! I was looking at the tank and commenting on how small the lobster were compared to the ones we used to get off my grandfather's boats on Swan's Island off the coast of Maine when Holly told me they were small because they were "Iowa lobsters" I wanted to leave and go get my fishing license to find those lobsters in Iowa waters...she gets so mad when I tell that story.
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by mjkcooking (hey Jean [br][br]t...)
Oh, Marye, I'll have to look into that - love those mussels.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by cjs (Oh, Marye, I'll have...)
Green lipped mussells are plentiful and cheap here. They are sold live in the supermarkets if you can't go pick your own. Thanks Jean.
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by vannin (Green lipped mussell...)
PS I take it the mussels are not served in the shell, is that correct? Mostly we just throw them in wine and wait to hook them out as they open. We call this newspaper food.
  Re: Re: Chef Camen's Mussels with Balsami Cream & Baco by vannin (PS I take it the mus...)
Vannin, they are in the shell. I hope this works... [Image: ZMUSSELSTWO.jpg]

Jean, you posted this elsewhere, so relax!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.