Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my youth!
  Re: (...)
Okay here's another one from my youth. It was a major family favorite and I'd made it for Bob and his Mom a couple of times. Through all of the moves I lost the recipe card but ya gotta love Google!!!

Thought I'd share this with you - it's such a simple dish, and just so satisfying. (wish I had a plate of it right now!)

Sicilian Supper

Ingredients
1 lb Ground beef
1/2 cup Chopped onion
1 can Tomato paste (6 oz)
3/4 cup Water
1 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
-----------------------------------
1/2 cup Chopped green pepper
1 tbsp Butter
1 pkg Cream cheese (8 oz), cubed
3/4 cup Milk
1/3 cup Grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp Salt
2 cups Noodles, cooked, drained (4 oz)
Preparation
1. Brown meat; drain.
2. Add onion; cook until tender. Stir in tomato paste, water and seasonings; simmer 5 minutes.
3. Saute green pepper in butter. Add cream cheese and milk, stirring until cream cheese melts. Stir in parmesan cheese, salt and noodles.
4. In a 10x6 baking dish, arrange alternate crosswise rows of meat mixture and noodles. Top with additional grated parm. if desired.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Yields 6-8 servings.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my youth! by Harborwitch (Okay here's another ...)
Quote:

4. In a 10x6 baking dish

Great! Now I'll need to find a baking dish with yet ANOTHER size!

Nah! I'll just adapt this to 8x8. Sounds delicious, though.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my yo by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
8 x 8 works perfectly!!! And it is delicious.
  Re: Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my yo by Harborwitch (8 x 8 works perfectl...)
OK, I'm beginning to accept I'm either mentally challenged or CRS is taking over my brain. But could you please explain this a little more?

Quote:

arrange alternate crosswise rows of meat mixture and noodles

I'm picturing rows of noodles alternated with rows of meat mixture...all in one layer. Or are you talking about alternating layers?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my youth! by Harborwitch (Okay here's another ...)
Sharon, this looks delightful! I am going to have to try it. But, I too need more explanation for the 'crosswise rows' part.

I may just make this, this week! I am trying not to cook, since we are 'on vacation', but this may be a hard one to resist. I think my family would LOVE this. Thanks for sharing.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my youth! by luvnit (Sharon, this looks d...)
does sound like good old fashioned comfort food!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my yo by Gourmet_Mom (OK, I'm beginning to...)
Spoon a row of meat across the width of the pan, next a row of noodles, etc. We usually end up with 2 rows of each.
  Re: Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my yo by Harborwitch (Spoon a row of meat ...)
Sounds delish! My mom made something similar when I was growing up. Still one of my favorite comfort foods. I'll have to be trying this one for sure. Thanks Sharon!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sicilian Supper - more comfort food from my yo by Mare749 (Sounds delish! My mo...)
A lasagna take-off???? Just add some mozzarella and you are good to go!!!

Sounds like a really great and easy comfort dish, Sharon---thanks for sharing!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Sounds really good! I love most things from Sicily, Tuscany,Lombardy, the Piedmont, Liguria, and on and on.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".