OT for Laura and anyone else interested
  Re: (...)
Have you seen last night's and tonight's stories on ABC news about autistic 13-year-old Carly Fleischmann?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4311223&page=1

Here's a sample quote:
Quote:

Two years ago, working with pictures and symbols on a computer keyboard, she started typing and spelling out words. The computer became her voice.

"All of a sudden these words started to pour out of her, and it was an exciting moment because we didn't realize she had all these words," said speech pathologist Barbara Nash. "It was one of those moments in my career that I'll never forget."

Then Carly began opening up, describing what it was like to have autism and why she makes odd noises or why she hits herself.

"It feels like my legs are on first and a million ants are crawling up my arms," Carly said through the computer.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by labradors (Have you seen last n...)
Wow just got done reading the story...I have a niece who is austic and forward this to her mother.

That should give some hope to some parents. I know there area lot of variables, but what a breakthrough.

Thank you for sharing this.
  Re: Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by DFen911 (Wow just got done re...)
I saw the report earlier tonight. Great story and great breakthrough for many. And what a great breakthrough for this young girl and her family. And the symbols and pictures seemed to be the key. HMMMMM? This sounds so familiar. Laura, your presentation at the convention just got bigger I think! GO FOR IT! I can't wait!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by labradors (Have you seen last n...)
What a wonderful story. Warms my heart.
Wow, Labs, that's so exciting! Thanks for posting this.

Laura, this kind of news must be thrilling for you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by pjcooks (Wow, Labs, that's so...)
Sometimes I need to be reminded of that last paragraph myself when my son is having a bad day. Thanks for posting this.

Those parents must be elated!
  Re: Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by Trixxee (Sometimes I need to ...)
Saw that on the news last night and night before last. Wonderful story - what a great little gal.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I wish I would have seen the show Tuesday, but I did catch some of it last night. Very inspiring story! I was reading the link you posted, thanks Labs. From everything I saw and read, the show told me exactly what I had always thought about my child, she knows more than we think she does. But we know that because she surprises us every day. I hope the story brings hope and awareness to parents and encourages them.

When Maggie couldn't speak we started using a picture communcation system called (PECS). We also used sign language to enhance her learning and recognition of words. (Kinda like when you are a kid an you sang a song with all the hand motions, kids love that). We used photographs to help her recognize and introduce her to people. because it was difficult for her to discern a person's face, even mine.

It took months before she would speak, but first the sign language words came, then a few spoken words. had speech therapy for an entire summer when she was 4 just to learn to say her own name. She knew her name, but couldn't say it. She didn't know how to respond when someone asked her, "What is your name?"

She has a very large vocabulary now, putting these words together is another story. She can do 4-5 word sentences and we work on adding a word here an there to 'grow' her language.

It has been 4 years since her diagnosis, and right now our school is doing a re-evaluation on her disability status. They should have the results in the next 30 days. I am interested in what their findings will be and how much closer to 'normal' she may get.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by luvnit (I wish I would have ...)
Laura, I've said it before, but it deserves repeating, what a wonderful job you've done! I wish all these tools were available for my sister- in -law's nephew, who is now in his 20's. We had dinner together a while back, and I could see an improvement, so I wonder how far he could have gone if he had access to the techniques you mention, Laura, at an earlier age.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT for Laura and anyone else interested by pjcooks (Laura, I've said it ...)
PJ, the future looks bright for all kids and people with autism including your SIL's nephew. Just the awareness brought to this issue will make his future easier when he has a world with a better understanding of what he is facing inside. But you are right, how far might he have been able to come with Early Intervention and therapies to help him improve his functioning and skills.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura