Bad news for all...
  Re: (...)
USDA: Consumers to pay for rising crop prices

By PHILIP BRASHER • Register Washington Bureau • February 21, 2008

Washington, D.C. — The outlook for Iowa's corn and soybean farmers just keeps getting better, but that's coming at a cost to consumers.

The U.S. Agriculture Department estimated today that growers will get a record $4.60 a bushel for this year's corn crop. That's up 60 cents a bushel from the value of the 2007 harvest.

This year's soybean harvest is expected to sell for a record $11.50 a bushel, up $1.10 from the value of the 2007 crop, even though farmers are expected to plant more soybeans this year than last.

"The outlook for agriculture has rarely, if ever, been more favorable," Joe Glauber, USDA's chief economist, said at the department's annual agricultural outlook conference.

The increase in commodity prices, which is due in part to the increased use of corn for fuel ethanol, means that consumers are paying more for food.

Food prices rose 4 percent last year and will rise another 3 to 4 percent this year, said Glauber. Food prices will continue rising faster than the overall inflation rate through 2010, he said.

Smithfield Foods, the world's largest pork producer and processor, has been forced to cut hog production because of the increase in feed costs, said Larry Pope, the company's chief executive.

"There's going to be real food inflation in this country. It has to come," he told the conference.

Agricultural exports also are booming as a result of the weak dollar, which makes U.S. products cheaper for overseas buyers. USDA projects farm exports will hit a record $101 billion, a $19 billion increase over last year. Sales of bulk grains, oilseeds and cotton will account for much of the increase.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Bad news for all... by firechef (USDA: Consumers to p...)
I have also been hearing a lot about the price of flour going up because a lot of the wheat farmers are switching to crops fro bio fuels.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Bad news for all... by firechef (USDA: Consumers to p...)
LJ---we are having that problem here as well----our imports are from the northern regions of Africa and the Middle East---not anything from the US though---our "goodies" are exported to you guys!!!

When I was last in Mass visiting Mom---I noticed TONS of South African products on the shelves---quality we don't have available here----someday!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by esgunn (I have also been hea...)
We used to have a MAJOR wheat crop here---NO MORE!!!! The farmers are taking a beating on their crops---political garbage---we will be importing and that means----YUP---major increases for the price of any bread product---

SAD---the poor and indigent live on bread products---prices are going through the ceiling----which means----HIGHER taxes for.....
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by Roxanne 21 (We used to have a MA...)
As long as "big oil" has a hand in fuels...aka bio fuels...even E85 is 15% GASOLINE and Ethanol and Bio-diesel have the oils of "big oil" in them we will see food and feed prices climb. I am surrounded by corn and soy fields that NEVER see consumption in anything other than fuels and plastics cutting down on the use of oils but not eliminating them. Right now our oil industry, bio fuels industry and the CORPORATE farmer are making big bucks while the rest of us pay...the "silver lining" is that a bi-product from making ethanol based fuels can be used to feed cows and hogs...oh wait...it leads to E-COLI INFECTIONS in the ANIMALS!!!! They critters get sick and die...not good after all!

Best bet is for the world to demand automotive makers perfect hydrogen cell vehicles and eliminate the need for "big oil!"
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by firechef (As long as "big oil"...)
But then the "BIO" industry will take over the planet and there will be NO land or anything else for us---just think of NO Amazon jungle/African veldts or anything for that matter----there will be NO trees or vegetation----just crops for bio fuel---how sad that will be. Look what that did for Indonesia----SCARY!!!! Trees are just about demolished here----and the few that are left are being cut down every day for the fuel source for cooking by the homeless---too many feelings are pulling at the heart strings---da#$@# if you do and -----if you don't....so where do we go from here?? What a NIGHTMARE!!!!

And then again----we can continue to support the oil barons of the Middle East and by purchasing their oil at ABSURD prices---get rid of the tree huggers and let more energy innovations continue and proliferate in the US---ie. nuclear plants, drilling in Alaska etc.....IMHO if the world continues to pay those obscene amounts for oil then they deserve to see the economy of the world continue on its slippery slope----that will create a future problem with us baby boomers that are counting on retirement benefits that will not be available because there won't be ANY funds to support the system----YIKES!!!!
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by Roxanne 21 (But then the "BIO" i...)
MY WORD!!! I promised myself that I would NEVER get involved in off topic (meaning cooking) subjects----I am too emotional since I have lived in a foreign country and have a truly different outlook on EVERYTHING!!!! Even with the butter size issue--- Anyway---I will temper my emotions and try to remain on the cooking theme---

LJ----you BAD!!!!
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by Roxanne 21 (MY WORD!!! I prom...)
YUP! The wheat issue was all over the news last night. It was amazing how one baker pointed out that her flour more than doubled...OVER NIGHT! Food prices are getting ridiculous. I don't see an end to this coming any time soon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by Gourmet_Mom (YUP! The wheat issu...)
Have no fear Roxanne this is not off topic at all...

This is totally about how our food prices are manipulated by things other than the process of making food!

This is all about food my dear. The prices of food will affect what we can afford to make in our recipes. It will eventually lead to an agrarian society if we are lucky.

Never be mad at yourself for voicing your opinion.
  Re: Re: Bad news for all... by firechef (Have no fear Roxanne...)
"Never be mad at yourself for voicing your opinion."

It's not herself she's worried about...we've had some folks on board in the past who we never knew when we might offend...it's a pain in the a$$.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com