Daphne's Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
I can't wait to try Roxanne's dinner Saturday! I plan to try lamb for the first time NEXT weekend. What will I be having?

Here it is you go guys! The next dinner review:
(I was a little worried about the calories in this one, but I figure I'll only have one piece of lamb to help reduce the overall calories. That's the plan anyway.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gyro Chopped Salad with Creamy Tzatsiki Dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
2 cups cucumber -- seeded and chopped
4 tablespoons feta cheese -- crumbled
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon -- juiced
salt and pepper -- to taste
8 cups romaine lettuce -- chopped
1/2 cup red onion -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup feta cheese -- crumbled
20 cherry tomatoes -- or grape tomatoes
16 kalamata olives -- pitted
8 pepperoncini peppers -- chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
4 whole wheat pita bread -- (6 1/2 inch)
Greek Lamb Chops

Drain yogurt by spooning it into several layers of paper towels inside a bowl. Gently press to compact and set aside for 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, process cucumber, 2 T. feta, oregano, garlic, and lemon juice until cucumber is minced. Add drained yogurt (about 1/2 cup) and pulse to combine. Season tzatziki with salt and pepper, and set aside.

Toss romaine, onion, 1/4 cup feta, tomatoes, olives, and pepperoncini in a large bowl with about 1/3 cup tzatziki.

Heat 1 T. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add pita, toast for 2 minutes, then flip over and toast the other side, season with salt and paprika. Toast remaining oil and pita in the same manner. To serve, place pitas on plates, then top with salad and lamb.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Cuisine for Two page 53"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=49028&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1115 Calories; 77g Fat (60.8% calories from fat); 51g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 168mg Cholesterol; 1106mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 12 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Greek Lamb Chops

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 lamb loin chops -- or rib chop, seasoned with salt pepper, and dried oregano (3 oz.each)

Rub both sides of chops generously with seasonings. Heat a grill pan or saute pan over high and sear chops 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=49028&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 589 Calories; 51g Fat (78.6% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 141mg Cholesterol; 106mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 7 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (I can't wait to try ...)
Thanks Daphne, sounds fun!! And, was I correct - is the review date Monday, the 10th of March?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by cjs (Thanks Daphne, sound...)
Looks yummy...I love all of this stuff. Must be the 75% Greek family background. Maybe the last name of Dantos before I was adopted has a bit to do with it?

These are copied but there is no way I am going to be able to do lamb anytime soon. A bit pricey for our home. Might sub "prime rib of pork" like I did for my Taste of Elegance contest?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by firechef (Looks yummy...I love...)
Sounds like a plan LJ! The butcher told me yesterday the lamb chops would be 15 bucks a pound!!!!! But I'm determined to try them at least once in my life and I really like the salad/pita idea. Anyway, I've paid that not too long ago for beef tenderloin, so why not. Obviously, it will be just hubby and me and no plans for leftovers for school...doing it on the weekend. WHEW!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like a plan L...)
Gosh I wish I liked lamb. In my whole family the only one that enjoys it is my dad.
  Re: Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by DFen911 (Gosh I wish I liked ...)
Dang Mom I can get good chops for $6.99 a pound through one of my "old" suppliers up in town...$15.00 a pound? What did you do flunk his kid somewhere along the way???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by firechef (Dang Mom I can get g...)
Hey, I don't live in the land of lamb! I'm lucky I can get it...LOL! To be honest, I almost fainted when he told me the price. I'm gonna shop around...trust me! Wilmington stores will hopefully have a market for them and have a better price. At least, I hope so! But I don't think I'll get it for $6.99 a pound though.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Daphne's Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, I don't live in...)
Like a common friend in NYC said about lamb where I am...up in Chicago where she is from lamb is loved but here a few hours away they will not touch it and think I am gross for eating it...check places like Costco, BJs and Sam's Club for okay lamb as well.