Japanese eggplant
  Re: (...)
I bought some of these yesterday at the asian market and want to use them tonight. I usually just lightly bread and fry them up and that's always good, but I sure would like to do something different with them. Any ideas?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Japanese eggplant by Mare749 (I bought some of the...)
It's been a long time since I've had eggplant, can't get anyone around here to eat them.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by bjcotton (It's been a long tim...)
Stuff them? Be back in a minute with an idea to top your fried Japanese Egg Plants...

Don't go anywhere....hehehe
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Japanese eggplant by Mare749 (I bought some of the...)
Here is my "vision" of your Japanese Eggplants...(yes I am calling a psyhrink about having visions of other people's meals!)

Okay here goes...

Your fried eggplant nice and hot topped with cool Suttong!

Here is what you'll need...

1/2 cup green papaya, shredded
1/2 cup Daikon radish, shredded
1/2 cup semi-ripe mango, shredded
1/4 cup carrot, shredded
1/2 cup red bell pepper, thinly julienned
1 cup endamame
1/4 cup roughly chopped Asian cilantro
1 Tbsp minced pickled ginger
1 tsp mint, finely chopped
1 Thai Bird Pepper (OPTIONAL) small chopped
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seed
1 tsp fish sauce
fresh ground pepper and Kosher salt to taste

The method for making it is simple...
Combine all ingredients together about 30 minutes before serving fried eggplant...

Really good stuff...would be wonderful on slices of fried eggplant! The hot of the eggplant and the cool of the Suttong would be magic on the tongue and the flavours would be so nice.

Just my idea for you.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by firechef (Here is my "vision" ...)
Maryann, do you have any pizza dough in the freezer???
* Exported from MasterCook *

Eggplant and Sun-Dried Tomato Pizza

2 japanese eggplants
2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic -- chopped
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 pound pizza dough
5 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed
4 ounces provolone cheese -- grated
2 ounces mozzarella cheese -- grated
1/2 ounce parmesan cheese -- grated
12 fresh basil leaves -- chiffonade

1. Slice the eggplant diagonally into 1/2-inch (1.2-centimeter) slices.

2. Toss the eggplant with 1 ounce (30 grams) of olive oil and the garlic; season with salt and pepper.

3. Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and roast at 375ºF (190ºC) until soft in the center, approximately 15-20 minutes. Cool and slice into strips.

4. Preheat the oven to 500ºF (260ºC). Roll out the dough and place it on a lightly oiled pizza pan or well-floured wooden peel; brush it lightly with the remaining olive oil. Lay the eggplant and sun-dried tomatoes on top. Toss the Provolone and Mozzarella together and sprinkle on the pizza.

5. Bake the pizza until the crust is golden and crisp, approximately 8-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan and basil.

Yield: 1 15-inch (37-cm) or 2 9-inch (22-cm) Pizzas
NOTES : Greens Restaurant, San Francisco, CA
Executive Chef Annie Somerville
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by cjs ( Maryann, do you ha...)
The Japanese nurse who used to work in the Red Cross, here, would just cut the eggplant into French-fry-style strips, dip them in tempura made of one cup of cold water, one cup of flour, and one egg, then fry them and dip them in just a little soy sauce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by labradors (The Japanese nurse w...)
Wow! Nice ideas here and all different too. Thanks everyone, they all sound good, but Jean's pizza is calling me at the moment.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by Mare749 (Wow! Nice ideas her...)
oh you pizza freak, you!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by cjs (oh you pizza freak, ...)
That's cool...I hope you have a chance to try the Suttong sometime. The one time I had it was on an Oriental Marinated Pork Loin...the hot and cold sensation was incredible.
  Re: Re: Japanese eggplant by firechef (That's cool...I hope...)
Thanks chef, it sounds pretty incredible, just a bit more time intensive than I wanted to get into tonight. Actually, we ended up getting side-tracked tonight and ate out. So, tomorrow, I must use those eggplants!
Maryann