OT- Camera question
  Re: (...)
Since so many of you post pictures of your dishes, I was wondering if I could get some advice. Our camera died recently, and I would like to replace it. What cameras do you use for some of the great pics I see on here? If you know one not to get, I'd like to hear that as well. We'll need it for inside and outside use...DH uses it at work for elevation certificates, and I use it for food shots and family photos.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: OT- Camera question by Gourmet_Mom (Since so many of you...)
I like Jean's camera. Her photos turn out really nice and crisp. Perhaps it's just the photographer...

I uses a Sony, it a couple years old and has 5 megapixels. It's easy, fun to use and I can take short digital videos with it too! I love that.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by luvnit (I like Jean's camera...)
Mine is an old, 3.1-megapixel HP, but it still takes great pictures.

Just be sure you find out what kind of memory cards it uses, how available they are for you, and how much they cost.

Once you get it, if your computer doesn't already include a card reader (many newer machines do, nowadays), buy an inexpensive, external, all-in-one, card reader (only about $20). Either way, to copy the photos from your camera to your PC, use the card reader, instead of the cable that comes with the camera. I say this because not all of the cameras work very well with those cables, and it us usually much easier to work with the card reader and to copy the photo files just as though you were copying any other files on your PC (drag and drop). If the camera allows that kind of drag and drop, it's usually okay, but if it uses its own, special software that you must install, then that software is usually a pain.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by labradors (Mine is an old, 3.1-...)
HI,

The best fool proof camera there is out there is Canon Powershot SD750. Get it online...it is cheaper by at least 50 dollars...IT IS FANTASTIC...we took the same picture between sony, canon and another sony camera...and there was NOT even close comparison on how crisp the pictures are on that canon camera
They do have a new one...with stabilizer that is patent...and i heard that it is unbelievable but it is about 75 dollars more.
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by labradors (Mine is an old, 3.1-...)
Our last camera was a Sony Cybershot from 4 years back, but it worked OK....not as clear and crisp as Jean's. I never had trouble with downloading. I can't imagine what happened to it. DH left it in the truck overnight on the coldest night of the year...in the teens. That's the only thing we can figure went wrong.

Hopefully, Jean will come along and offer some advice. My problem with the old camera was lighting. Most close up shots of food had a tendency to be a little too dark. That is what I'm hoping to avoid.
Daphne
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by Gourmet_Mom (Our last camera was ...)
For food shots one of the main things you want to have is a high optical zoom. This will allow you to zoom into your food for crisp clear shots.

I'm getting a new camera and it will be the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3K 7.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black (DMC-TZ3K). It has a 10X optical zoom and 2 of the "scene" modes are food modes just for taking food shots

It's about $230 at circuit city.
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by DFen911 (For food shots one o...)
Quote:

For food shots one of the main things you want to have is a high optical zoom.

Good point. Make sure the optical zoom is good, and don't worry about the digital zoom, which just manipulates the image at lesser quality.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT- Camera question by Gourmet_Mom (Since so many of you...)
I have a Nikon CoolPix 4600. I think it works well for me, even though it's 4 or 5 years old.

I still love my Nikon One Touch 35mm, even though it's antiquated and not quite so convenient. That one I bought back in 1986 or 87, I believe. Old habits die hard, I guess!

Good luck with your camera search!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by pjcooks (I have a Nikon CoolP...)
Mine is a Casio ZV-R51 3x optical zoom - 5.0 mega pixels.

But...what I've found thru trial and error is to not try for the closup as you take the picture. I shoot it rather broad, then transfer to my Adobe PhotoDeluxe program, where I can crop and lighten and/or darken as I wish.

This gives me good closeups. I don't think this camera was very expensive - Roy bought it for work and I just kind of confiscated it over the years.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- Camera question by cjs (Mine is a Casio ZV-R...)
Thanks for the info Jean. I had told hubby about Denise's recommendation...also checked it out at CNET. It does have by far the best optical zoom, but had a few bad reviews. Overall, I think it would be a good camera for me. He said he'd get me what I wanted while on our little trip to Charlotte. Then, DH said he got the old camera working. I'm thinking, why not get the software Jean mentions and save my "boon" for another day. He also told me he'd take me to as many markets I wanted to visit while there as well! YIPPPEEEE!

Any advice on things I need to pick up? I've got semolina flour, fish sauce, a new spring form pan,...dang CRS! I need to go on a search and figure out all those things that have frustrated me lately. I need to stick with non-perishables mostly. Although, I did tell them at school I may be out Tuesday as well...LOL! I could stay home and play. There's a place called Halal International.
Quote:

They have fresh meat (goat, lamb, beef, chicken) and deli meats too (halal bologna, etc) as well as many other halal ME/South Asian/African products.

OH MY! Note the fresh LAMB!
Daphne