Squab
  Re: (...)
Ok I must try this. I got to dabble a bit at school with them but that wasn't enough.

I'm looking for a recipe in which they are cooked in a pan on the stovetop and basted to finish them. I found some on the net, but would love to find one that someone here as tried and enjoyed
  Re: Squab by DFen911 (Ok I must try this. ...)
Denise, I've used this on cornish game hens, but it's really supposed to be for squab AND I've done it on the stovetop and basted them - everything you're looking for.

For the wine marinade, I just used - to 12 oz. white wine (I used Noilly Pratt) & 2 oz. oil - add onions, garlic, bay leaf, dried thyme, salt & white pepper and lemon juice.

This is a recipe I found in my Master Cook and it's delicious.

Grilled Squab with Basil Butter
Serving Size : 4

4 squab -- whole
16 fresh basil leaves
1 pint White Wine Marinade
salt and pepper -- to taste
6 ounces basil butter

1. Remove the backbone and breast bone from each squab. The birds will lie flat and remain in one piece.

2. Make a slit below each leg and tuck the leg bone into the slit.

3. Carefully slide two basil leaves under the skin over each breast to cover the meat.

4. Marinate the squab in the white wine marinade for 1-2 hours.

5. Heat and prepare the grill.

6. Remove the squab from the marinade and pat dry.

7. Melt approximately 4 ounces (120 grams) of the basil butter, leaving enough for eight thin slices to be served with the finished dish.

8. Brush the squab with basil butter and place it skin side down on the grill. Grill the squab, turning once and basting periodically with the melted basil butter. Finish in the oven if necessary.

9. Serve the squab with a slice of basil butter melting over each breast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Squab by cjs (Denise, I've used th...)
This sounds perfect. I know I wanted something where the ingredients were simple. Thank you Jean!

This is now top of my list after next week when I can begin breathing again
  Re: Re: Squab by DFen911 (This sounds perfect....)
Interesting recipe...why do you hear some people say good things about Squab and others whine and complain that they were served it?

It is too dark to look it up in my FLC so I'll wait til morning to learn more. Thanks for posting all of this ladies so my mind will expand even more once the light comes on...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Squab by firechef (Interesting recipe.....)
LJ, I ain't no lady - I be woman and don't you forget it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Squab by firechef (Interesting recipe.....)
I was going to suggest you turn the light on...makes reading much easier.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Squab by bjcotton (I was going to sugge...)
Pigeon! You have got to be kidding right? A domesticated baby pigeon that has never flown my FLC says...

Kind of blows my theory on why you never see baby pigeons out of the water...I always thought the ones in the town park pooping on the revolutionary war statues were the babies and the adult pigeons lived in the Andes and have 4 foot wing spans and come only at night to lay their eggs...guess I was wrong?

Is Squab actually good and where would one look for it???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Squab by firechef (Pigeon! You have go...)
Quote:

Pigeon! You have got to be kidding right? A domesticated baby pigeon that has never flown my FLC says...

Makes me wonder who is crawling about and stealing the 'baby' pigeons from their nests, before they fly.

Actually that brings to mind an observation by some New Yorkers who wondered why no one ever saw baby pigeons. It seems they are full grown before they take off from the nests.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Squab by Corinne ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I am assuming that they are "raised" for food like chickens, turkeys, emus and all of our other "favourite" live stock.

I really couldn't bring myself to eating a "wild" pigeon...something about the thought of one of those flying rats on my plate makes me quiver...
  Re: Re: Squab by firechef (I am assuming that t...)
Lol!!

I always say...if it poops on your car it's a pigeon, but if it's raised and never allowed to fly it's a squab.

There are a lot of foods that we don't consider every day cuisine. For example, sweetbreads. While being born and raised in Calif that was never something that was served to us. It's a totally foreign concept to me.

While in school I found out what they are, and about died at the thought of preparing them, much less eat them. But I really enjoyed some of them.

Firechef would you eat wild turkey, boar, venison etc?