Freestanding Ranges
  Re: (...)
I am still looking for my perfect freestanding range. Some people may remember we went to look at an AGA. I loved the look of this, but the oven portions were just too small. I couldn't even fit a sheet pan in them. Not good. So we have moved on.

[Image: Electric36.JPG]

While we were at the appliance store, catching our breath with the sticker shock, we have concluded that we may need to spend more than we had originally planned on this piece of equipment.

I moved on to the commercial Wolf ranges. They were much cheaper. Around $4-$5k, but you need to add another $4k for the ventilation you need. Then it appears that the commercial ranges do not include the broiler? Please correct me if I am wrong. Bummer.

We have spent the better part of a day looking at freestanding ranges on the internet. I had been leaning toward a 36", but now I think a 45-48" would be even better.

The two we are comparing now are the 36" and 48" Bluestar.

The 36" is $8k and the 48" is $10k.

[Image: zpic_rnbhc36.jpg] [Image: zpic_rnbhc48.jpg]

Then I looked at the Kenmore Pro series 36", it was $6,200, pluse another $850 for a 5 year service plan. Yikes!

Any input on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions of models would be really great too. We really have to choose our range first before we design the rest of the kitchen.

I am drawn to the side-opening doors of the AGA and Bluestar. The colors are also really wonderful in the Bluestar. It's just a lot of money and I want to be sure I really love it.

Thanks all!

P.S. My sweet hubby had a question that I thought was a good one. When you purchase one of these gorgeous ranges, when can you expect to replace it? I mean years ago a stove would last you 30 years. Nowadays seems they last 10-15 tops. At least for the standard ranges. But really, I agree how long do you think these should last. If [when] I get one, I am sure we won't be going out to eat for the next several decades. But that's okay.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Freestanding Ranges by luvnit (I am still looking f...)
Laura, I wish I could help. Due to the age of my house and unlevel conditions, I was advised NOT to put gas in when I remodelled. DH has promised the dining hall at the camp WILL have gas and all commercial stuff. (He even went so far as to get the old gas stove that his parents gave away recently. It runs on a propane tank...came out of the OLD Streamline camper they had parked on the beach property!)

Anyway, I'll be watching your research closely. It will probably be 3-4 years down the road, and I may check out commercial sell outs for the "stuff", but I will be interested in the details you explore. Good Luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Freestanding Ranges by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I wish I coul...)
Oh what a nice hubby you have too. Sounds like he appreciates your talents, as does my sweet guy.

Actually it was kinda funny when we found the AGA, it was $5k and he was like WHAT?!?!?!. Then I asked, "How much was your zero-turn-radius-lawnmower?" and "How often do you use it?" He caved instantly and came home from work so we could take a look at it. It really makes sense, I use my stove every day. The entire family benefits. Besides he likes how the commercial stuff looks anyway. He feels 'chefy' in the kitchen when he uses something fun too.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Freestanding Ranges by luvnit (Oh what a nice hubby...)
I am in the same boat Laura. My BIL said he'd buy me a new stove, but anything above 2K is out of the question...I might get him as high as $2,500, but that would be tops. I have been looking for months and nothing! I want a dual fuel, electric oven, gas top. We're even plumbed already for a new gas water heater [when the old one bites it], and a new dryer [same deal], also when they put the gas furnace in they plumbed for the kitchen stove.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Freestanding Ranges by bjcotton (I am in the same boa...)
I have the wolf 48" free standing range with 6 burners and the 12" griddle and it has a broiler in the big oven. Not the smaller one.
  Re: Re: Freestanding Ranges by DFen911 (I have the wolf 48" ...)
I have no advice for you, only sympathy - if you buy what you want, you'll just have to bite the bullet, I'm thinking.

I'll not be biting anymore bullets - at my age, I just can't justify it, but I'm looking at some 'nice' units and I'll make them work for the years I have left.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com