Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula
  Re: (...)
I am sitting here nibbling on a leftover roulade.

This is from issue No. 57, June 2006.

I love revisiting old issues. Billy is the one that called my attention to this issue with the recipe for the Chicken Roulades. Good call Billy! Now I have two new recipes!

I will try to make this one short and sweet.

Review for:
Pork Roulades filled with Fontina and Arugula
served with
Lemon Parmesan Pasta and Buttery Pine Nuts

PROS: Pork roulades were much easier to make than the Chicken ones. The pork was just easier to pound out and more uniform. Just make sure you pound the edges of the meat even thinner than the 1/8". Makes for a better seal when you roll them up. The sauce had a lot of great flavors going on, but when preparing go easy on the salt. My dish seemed a little salty, especially the sauce. But you are salting the pork, adding broth and reducing and then putting more salt in the sauce. I could have been more careful. The buttery pine nuts on the pasta were FABULOUS! I will have to make those again. Luckily I had just bought a bunch and had some here. This recipe is not listed in the magazine, therefore I didn't notice it until I was already in the kitchen.

CONS: Find another lemony pasta recipe. This one was dry and bland. We appreciated the lemon flavor and it pared well with the pork dish. I think I would try a linguine pasta instead and even double the lemon and add touch of cream.

[Image: roulade2.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by luvnit (I am sitting here ni...)
Well, now I'm hungry - where was this from again? I'm with you, I love pine nuts in just about any dish. Looks great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by cjs (Well, now I'm hungry...)
This was issue No. 57, June 2006

We both loved the pine nuts. They were sauteed in butter and expanded, then got toasted and crunchy. Boy were they good. Here's the recipe.

The recipe for Buttery Pine Nuts is:

1/2 cup pine nuts
2 T. unsalted butter
1/4 t. kosher salt

Combine ingredients in a nonstick saute pan over medium heat. As butter melts, gently swirl the pan to roll the pine nuts around. Cook until evenly golden brown, about 5 minutes.

Transfer nuts to a plate lined with paper towels. Add more salt, if desired; let cool to room temperature
Laura
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by luvnit (This was issue No. 5...)
thanks Laura.

Just looked at the issue - I have a note added to the recipe "double the sauce"???? Someone must have also made this and posted that?

With the pasta not up to your liking, I wonder if some of the 'sauce' dribbled over would have helped??

Just turned the page - WOW! That was the recipe I think (and Lorraine also) was my absolute favorite 'dinner review' menu we've done so far. Chicken Paarmesan
Roulades....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by cjs (thanks Laura.[br][br...)
Remember one of our first dinners was the Chicken Parmesan Roulades with the Tomato Concassé? This was in the same issue on the previous page. They were wonderful, both recipes. I did use linguine and it was great...guess I didn't review it huh?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by bjcotton (Remember one of our ...)
Is there an echo in here?? (I'm sorry, it's kind of pick on poor little Billy J this week for me, huh??? - but you know I love you, bless your heart.)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by cjs (Is there an echo in ...)
I have some fontina left over from some really great grilled corned beef sandwiches the other day. This would be a great way to use it. I think this recipe was before I started receiving Cuisine at Home. I may have to bother you for the recipe if I can't find it!
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugul by Trixxee (I have some fontina ...)
Found it online already!
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugula by cjs (thanks Laura.[br][br...)
Oh yes Jean, dribbling sauce on the pasta would have helped. That would explain your note of 'double the sauce', because you would need to. There is not much sauce there when you are all done.

I wasn't looking for a 'saucy' kind of pasta. This one was just dry and plain. But then again, I think angel hair can make or break a dish.
Laura
  Re: Re: Review - Pork Roulades with Fontina and Arugul by Trixxee (Found it online alre...)
Laura, that looks wonderful! I'll have to check out the recipe when I get back. We sooo loved the chicken, so we'll have to have this one! I LOVE pine nuts especially!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.