Horseradish Coleslaw
  Re: (...)
I wanted to make this for supper last night instead of a green salad, but do you think I could find fresh horseradish in this town?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Horseradish Coleslaw

Recipe By :Emeril Legasse
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Salads-Slaws-Dressings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 cups shredded green cabbage
5 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
2 Granny Smith apples -- peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or 6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Creole mustard or other coarse-grained mustard

In a large mixing bowl, combine the green and red cabbages, carrots, and green onions. In a small bowl, toss the cubed apples with the lemon juice and add to the cabbage mixture.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the seasoned vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, and mustard and stir to combine. Add to the coleslaw and toss to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Horseradish Coleslaw by bjcotton (I wanted to make thi...)
That sounds really good. I always use horseradish in my coleslaw - this one sounds really good with the apples!!! I'll try it when we get home. Thanks Sweetie
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
This does sound good! This is similar to the slaw that accompanies the fish tacos from the April 2007 issue. I love the cabbage/Granny Smith apple combo! (the horseradish is in the tartar sauce!)
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
Ooooh-weeee! This do sound goooood! My hubby would be in horseradish heaven. I'm gonna make this one, for sure!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Horseradish Coleslaw by luvnit (Ooooh-weeee! This do...)
I tasted the coleslaw after letting it marinade/blend flavors, etc., overnight. I thought it was very good. I like creamy coleslaw and thought it could have used a little more sauce. The fresh horseradish, while expensive, added a definite plus flavor along with the sugar and apple cider vinegar. I will definitely make this again.

P.S. It didn't turn hot like I figured from the horseradish.

Billy
  Re: Re: Horseradish Coleslaw - Review by bjcotton (I tasted the colesla...)
Billy, I can get fresh horseradish here. It is incredibly strong. first time I grated it in the Cuisinart, I darn near died from the fumes. Ya know, I bet you could grow it. It survived even Winnipeg winters!

Oh, and thanks for the recipe.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Horseradish Coleslaw - Review by Lorraine (Billy, I can get fre...)
It wasn't too strong when I grated it. It did get to my eyes and nose a little, but not as bad as onions.

Billy