Hostessing another bridal shower
  Re: (...)
So my nephew and his fiance moved up their wedding by a year . We'll be doing a baby shower later this summer as well.

Anyway, the shower is in two weeks at my other sister's home. It will luncheon and I suggested to bring the Chicken Alfredo and Roasted Red Pepper lasagnas. Love them both. But, my co-hosting sister said the bride's family and the other side of the family are farmers and they aren't foodies. Just plain food, thank you very much.

She suggested doing some wraps instead with a pasta side, tossed salad and fruit. She's ordered a nice bakery cake and I think we'll serve assorted Jones Sodas .

So, has anyone tried these two wraps?

Southwestern Salad Wrap - Issue 58
Salmon Salad BLT, Weeknights II - it's a sandwich that I would put in a wrap.

I thought I'd also make a chicken salad wrap - very plain.

Other suggestions would be welcomed - as long as it can be wrapped!
  Re: Hostessing another bridal shower by HomeCulinarian (So my nephew and his...)
Farmers aren't foodies? Since when? PPbbhtt

I think your first two dishes are a great choice.

When you say wraps are you talking about those pinwheel things?

Ok..chicken alfredo wraps Roasted red Pepper Wraps

I have a friend from Oklahoma, born and raised and in farm country and says she loves nothing more that coming out to CA for real Mexican food because it has so much wonderful flavor
  Re: Hostessing another bridal shower by HomeCulinarian (So my nephew and his...)
HC - your first thoughts sounded so good, and you can't get much more down home than lasagna - no matter how dressed up it is!!!

Anyway - this is a wrap I LOVE. It is not bland and oh so yummy. I really do not know where it originated from, but it is good. Use either coleslaw mix or Broccoli salad mix to add a littl more umph nutritionally.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey curry wraps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : lunch or light Main Dish Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Turkey breast - oven roasted -- cooked
1 bag Coleslaw
tortillas
Peanuts
Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup mango chutney
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder

Mix Dressing ingredients together.

Layer cut up turkey or chicken breast on tortilla, with Coleslaw mix and
peanuts

Wrap and eat!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Use 1 bag coleslaw mix or one bag brocolli slaw mix.

Use oven roasted turkey breast or chicken breast.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Well, my inlaws aren't foodies either. Over the years they have come around to at least trying foods that I make and really enjoy them. My FIL is the most difficult to please because he says he doesn't like specific ingredients. Specifically: cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt. If something is white, he just won't eat it. Occasionally, I tell him it's 'mayonnaise', then he gobbles it up like a vulture.

This is always my advice, to myself: Make what you like and they will like it too. Be sure to have something 'familiar' for all tastebuds, including children. We also always have some things that are vegetarian (or vegan) for our guests who are meatless.

I have to work on the vegan thing now. My daughter is a vegan and we will be having her graduation party this year. I don't have much vegan experience, so I will have to do some research for the upcoming event.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Quote:

...I think we'll serve assorted Jones Sodas .

Jones Sodas are great! One of the import stores here has them, but they are pretty expensive, so I only get them as a treat, once in a while.

Another great soda you and your guests may enjoy, if you can get it in your area, is Manhattan Special. As strange as it may sound, Manhattan Special (which really IS from Manhattan) is an espresso soda, and it is delicious! Unfortunately, none of the import stores here have it, although I do keep asking them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hostessing another bridal shower by luvnit (Well, my inlaws aren...)
Denise - wraps are basically sandwiches in a burrito. They turn into pinwheels when you slice them thin for appetizers. Not all farmers are plain food eaters, but apparently this group is.

Erin - the wrap mix you suggest sounds good, too. Maybe I could substitute it for the "plain" chicken salad.

I'm switching from the lasagnas because my co-hosting (older) sister, whose house we're using, wants to serve wraps. 'Nough said.

Labs - the Jones sodas are about the only ones easily available in the states made with cane sugar. I think that's why they're so good.
  Re: Re: Hostessing another bridal shower by HomeCulinarian (Denise - wraps are b...)
Quote:

Labs - the Jones sodas are about the only ones easily available in the states made with cane sugar. I think that's why they're so good.

Here's a quote from the Manhattan Special website (emphasis added):
Quote:

Our unique blend of the world's finest coffee beans (which are hand brewed to perfection), along with the use of pure cane sugar, has allowed us to create a truly delicious coffee experience!

Even aside from the fact that they happen to use pure cane sugar, it is just a great-tasting product, unlike "Pepsi Cappuccino," which was a poor pretender.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hostessing another bridal shower by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The wraps sound tastey - have not made the So.western, but now that you have my attention, I probably will!!

IF you stick with your idea of the salmon salad one, I'd suggest when you make the filling (and it looks like both can be made ahead which will certainly help), let it rest inn a colander over a bowl (even with your nifty cucumber trick) so it won't be too moist when you prep the wraps.

I do have wrap fillings that stand up to being made the day ahead, but since I've not tried these, I don't want to suggest that. But most of mine are appetizers and not meant to be filling, so probably won't help. I guess what I'm saying is, the more filling in the wraps, the less ahead of time dishes they will be.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com