Dinner Review - Feb. 25th
  Re: (...)
We enjoyed this dish and it was a fun dinner to make. But I felt the addition of the crab was unnecessary – it got lost in the dish. The shrimp came through and is always good with beef. The silvers of garlic were sweet and wonderful.

[Image: dinnerreview.jpg]

I liked the galettes, but I would have seasoned them a little more, maybe with some herbs – maybe chives or even a little rosemary.

[Image: galettes.jpg]

Overall, based on flavor I’ll give this an 8, but on wasting (imo) 2 great King Crab Legs, I’d give it a 5.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by cjs (We enjoyed this dish...)
Again, I love your photos Jean. Very crisp. I think I will have to agree with your reveiw too. It really was an excellent meal. Purchasing the crab did add $20 to the bill and I agree we would not have missed it. If we did this again, we would probably just do the shrimp or even shrimp and scallops. I did love the shrimp and we just a jumbo or collosal for the recipe. My hubby loved this dish (he didn't know the cost) and it filled his constant desire for surf-n-turf. Great Valentine's dinner!

[Image: dinner-2.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by luvnit (Again, I love your p...)
great picture to you also! How did the asparagus go with the dish? I had roasted broccoli and it was very good.

Roy loves 'surf & turf' also - he always says he feels so decadent
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by cjs (great picture to you...)
Ooooo, roasted asparagus was wonderful. Just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Perfection.
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by luvnit (Ooooo, roasted aspar...)
This was a fun dish to make but I have made another similar dish from C@H and think that one is much better ( Issue 54, page 8). We do not have King crab here (or ANY crab for that matter) so I used a can of lump crabmeat that I had purchased when in the States last year. I felt this was a total waste. The shrimp was more than adequate for taste and presentation—especially with the garlicky sauce. The beef was perfectly cooked and I found the cooking times spot on. I would give this a 6-7. It was okay but I don’t think I will make again. The Galettes were pretty good but I had added some chives. I would make Duchess potatoes if I should do a similar dish. Roasted asparagus was the green veggie but not needed with all the other flavors going on.

Served with a lovely Chianti, Villa Antinorri Chianti Classico, Risersa 1999.
An EXCELLENT Chianti----and I’m not a wine afficiando!!!!

Chocolate mousse for dessert and this is always a winner!!

BTW----this was done in my word program about 2 weeks ago---interesting that some similar ideas are coming through---

When a professional has very close opinions to a dish--that makes me happy!! Sort of, maybe, I may have done the recipe as it should have been done (according to instructions!!!)....

I think Daphne is next???? That looks like an interesting dish!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by Roxanne 21 ( This was a fun dis...)
My review is ready, and boy was it an experience. First, let me say that I went with several substitutions. I used rib eye instead of fillets, since they were half the price. I figured the sauce would be the star. Regarding the sauce, I had to substitute lump crab meat, doubled to cover the fact I could not get shrimp or king crab (or even snow crab). But I figured I was still within the realm of the true nature of the dish. I had everything prepped and ready to go when DH and DS got home. OS had come home for my birthday, so he was here, waiting anxiously for my next food adventure. Earlier in the day, I had prepped everything including my Chocolate-Espresso Lava Cakes with Espresso Whipped Cream. The only thing left to do was put everything together.

Finally, the boys got home. The grill was started…since we were doing rib eyes, I figured this would be best…the oven was preheating for the cakes, and the griddle was heated and ready for my galettes. I popped the cakes in the oven, DH put the steaks on the grill, and I heated the pan for the sauce and started the galettes. As the garlic began to brown, I opened the crab meat and tossed it in the pan. Something smelled a little off. YS, tasted the crab and said it was my imagination, but as it simmered longer, it began to smell even worse. The kids and hubby said it was my imagination. The time came for everything to come together and I was going to pull it all off at the same time! Just to be sure, DH took a large spoonful of the sauce. “GAG…CHOKE…CHOKE…SPIT” He ran for the sin and immediately spit it out. Then washed his mouth out several times with mouthwash! Even though the date was good on the crab, it had obviously gone VERY bad. Luckily, I had insisted he taste it before I plated it with the steaks.

So my review will only be for the potatoes which were very good, but I found them difficult to turn and hold together. (Although not a part of the original review, the dessert was very intense and rich, but VERY good. I will do this one again.) As for the main dish, I learned a very important lesson; at least my family did….even though the date is good, trust the cook’s nose. When he or she has a question about the smell of something….trust her! BTW, the steaks turned out great…LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by Gourmet_Mom (My review is ready, ...)
Oh my gosh! That was both funny and terrible at the same time! Good story and you have memorable evening at that. But too bad to waste all that cram, time, excitement, etc.

Well, you will have to try the dish again someday. So sorry it didn't work out. That's too bad. Luckily nobody ate it and got sick!

Glad to see you back. Now tell us about the trip!
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by luvnit (Oh my gosh! That wa...)
Daphne, I hope you noticed a few of us thot it was a waste of good crab for this dish. The shrimp/prawns were great combo tho.

I'm surprised you had trouble turning your galette, potatoes ususally act like they are glued forming them in a galette. That's too bad. Ick, what an awful feeling/taste/smell to get bad seafood.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by cjs (Daphne, I hope you n...)
I'm thinking I had the heat too high on the griddle. Two stayed together, but two did not. We liked them well enough that I'll try them again, but like you, I will be adding some herbs.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by Gourmet_Mom (I'm thinking I had t...)
I'm sorry, Daphne, to have everything good to go and then that happens, that's too bad. The rest sounds pretty good, though!

I always trust my nose. Even with high turnover at work, I've had food well within date spoiled upon opening. Your first instincts were validated. It's a reminder to the rest of us, if in doubt, throw it out! (or return it for credit)

Thanks for your review, your cakes sound luscious...

And Happy Day, again!

PJ
PJ