Oh No!
  Re: (...)
I think I ruined a pan the other day. My 1 quart saucepan. I primarily use it for making my daugther's Malt-O-Meal in the morning. But this is what I did. I was going to make Malt-O-Meal and put the pan on the stove with 1 cup of water and turned it on high. Got distracted and my hubby found the pan, on the stove, empty. Now the stainless steel pot is dark gray on the bottom.

Can this pan be salvaged?

I remember someone doing this to an All-Clad pan a few months back. I don't remember if anyone had a remedy for it or not. Now this was not an expensive pan, it was a Wolfgang Puck pan. I have the set and I dislike the set very much. Seems like anytime someone puts their name on cookware its terrible.

If you notice Rachael Ray has her own set, but she seldom uses them on the air. Hmmmm... her set much $uck too.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Oh No! by luvnit (I think I ruined a p...)
If you just let it cool down on its own and did not hit it with water it will still be useable. Polishing the gray spot off will depend on how deep the oxidization went in the pan. But it will still be useable.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Oh No! by bbally (If you just let it c...)
No, I didn't hit it with water. I will try to scour off the gray today. Kind of a bummer, but not really. Not my favorite pan anyway.

Thank you Bob!
Laura
  Re: Re: Oh No! by luvnit (No, I didn't hit it ...)
Odd I love my Wolfgang Puck set...love the mixing bowl set as well.

Hope your pan comes out okay. I do have a set of pans from Italy that is a no name brand that is nice. Holly has a cheap set of copper bottom stuff that holds up well. My mother's husband has two Emeril sets. One is the non-stick and the other is the cast iron set. He loves them as well.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Oh No! by firechef (Odd I love my Wolfga...)
I love my Wolfgang Puck pans, also. Had a set of Chantal that I used at home and Wolgang Puck's I used for p/cing. Ended up getting another set of WP for home use. Can't say enough good things about it and you can get the set for $99 at Sam's Club.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Oh No! by firechef (Odd I love my Wolfga...)
My favorite set was from Sam's Club and was a Member's Mark brand similar to Calphalon The pans were deep (I am sloppy and need the extra stirring room) and did have the non-stick finish inside. I loved them and they don't make them anymore. If they ever do again, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

One thing I can say about Puck's pans is that they are FLAT on the bottom. Great for my flat electric cooktop, which really limits my choices of cookware anyway. Glad you like yours. I am not ready to invest in any more new pans, so I do hope this one comes out okay. Thanks for the encouragement.
Laura
  Re: Re: Oh No! by luvnit (My favorite set was ...)
I got mine for Christmas a couple of years ago from Holly's family that thinks if it has a Chef's name on it another Chef must like it...lucky for me I do. I am looking at adding a pan or two of his to the set.

I do wish they were a heavier weight in the hand. I like some "heft" to my pans and stuff. They clean real nice however.

What does everyone else use around here?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Oh No! by firechef (I got mine for Chris...)
Laura, just bring the pan to a boil with some water and baking soda---it should clean up--NO PROBLEM!!!! I have used this method several times and the result is always spectacular!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

I have a Dansk set of stainless steel that has been totally unbelievable for 25 years plus----not that expensive but a real bargain---they are just as new as the day we bought them.....also have some Lodge cast iron---AWESOME!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Oh No! by Roxanne 21 (Laura, just bring th...)
The oldest things I have in my kitchen are a set of Chicago Cutlery that were given to me by my mother's husband when I moved to Iowa. He bought them over 35 years ago when he lived in San Diego. This was when Chicago Cutlery were some of the best out there. Before they ended up in Wally World...

They are my "back-up" knives now that I have a set of better newer knives at home. They are still very usable and are in GREAT shape for their age and abuse over the years.
  Re: Re: Oh No! by Roxanne 21 (Laura, just bring th...)
I have an oddball assortment of pots and pans. Older ones are Farberware and Club Aluminum. My favorite oldies but goodies are my Lodge cast iron dutch oven and a big 'ol skillet that is like my best friend. Also have some Member's Mark from Sam's Club (nonstick) and those are quickly becoming favorites. I do have a few pieces of LeCreuset. They are lovely to look at and nice enough to cook with, but not really worth the money, IMHO.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."