Cake Love Recipe
  Re: (...)
Hi there from another newbie!

This question concerns the CakeLove recipes in the December 2006 issue. I have made the Pumpkin Pound Cake four times and the chocolate one once. The first time I made it, it stuck to the pan, so I ended up making little parfaits in clear plastic cups, layering the pieces with the phenomenal frosting. One time I forgot to put the pumpkin in, which was a disaster (it was the third thing I caught on fire that Christmas morning!). Once it even came out perfect. However, the other two time the cake fell and was the consistency of playdough. I had to throw them out and whip something up out of a box (ugh). It bothers me because I have no idea what I did wrong . Between the time it takes, plus the cost of ingredients, the failures make me leery of trying the recipe again. Any helpful hints?

Thanks so much!
  Re: Cake Love Recipe by Watergirl (Hi there from anothe...)
Hello Watergirl,

Welcome to the forum. I wish I could help you with the baking thing, I am baking-impaired. But I can welcome you and say hello! I do remember that issue... Buttercream frostings. Yummmmm. But I am sure you will find our answers here. Lots of great cooks and bakers!

Good luck to you and hope to see you back!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by luvnit (Hello Watergirl,[br]...)
Quote:

(it was the third thing I caught on fire that Christmas morning!)

Is this why your name is WaterGirl?

I just wanted to welcome you also. I'm here for help and inspiration, not teaching.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by Corinne ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
"Is this why your name is WaterGirl?" - I thought the same thing!!!

Welcome watergirl! I stay as far away from pastries as I possibly can, so afraid I can't help you - but, someone will be here soon to help!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by cjs ("Is this why your na...)
Hi WaterGirl and welcome! Sorry, I can't help but I did want to welcome you. You came to the right place. Someone will be able to help you, I'm sure. I hope so anyway, I've had my eye on the chocolate cake for a long time now.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by Corinne ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Quote:

Is this why your name is WaterGirl?

I didn't think about that! No, I was the only girl on a hockey team called the Waterboys, so I have gone by Watergirl for awhile now.

For those of you who haven't tried the CakeLove recipes, they taste heavenly when they work out. The frosting is to die for. I just don't know where the failure was with the ones that didn't work out. Despite last Christmas morning's disasters, I usually am a pretty good cook. By that, I mean I am willing to try new things, and can follow a recipe and usually make it work. That's why this is so frustrating for me!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to be back on the board a lot, with more success next time instead of asking where I screwed up!
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by Watergirl ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Gotta love hockey...

You only screw up if you don't take the time to learn from it. I love the look of the chocolate cake on the C@H homepage...going to try that next weekend.

Welcome to the boards from a former "Zonie" that used to make the trek to San Diego from Phoenix in the summers...would love to be in SoCal today. Yucky weather here today...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by firechef (Gotta love hockey......)
Welcome Watergirl-----please visit us again.....I love to bake but I did not make that recipe---will have a look again though. Nice to see a new member posting!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by Roxanne 21 (Welcome Watergirl---...)
Welcome Watergirl! I haven't made the cake either, but I am willing to give it a try. I "usually" do pretty good with cakes. The only recipe I could find that resembled the one you mentioned was the Pumpkin-Clove Pound cake and the choice of frostings was Eggnog Buttercream or Italian Meringue Buttercream. Is this the cake you are speaking of? Which frosting did you use?

After baking 6 chocolate cakes, each more complicated than the last, my family finally admitted they didn't like chocolate cake so I won't be trying that one
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cake Love Recipe by bjcotton (Welcome Watergirl! ...)
What are they, Un-American????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com