Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Cotta
  Re: (...)
Tonight it was all about the dessert. Having worked on it for a day in advance I wanted to make a real nice Panna Cotta and top it with a honey strawberry jam. So come with me through the assembly of the Panna Cotta.

First the 2 cups of cream are heated and infused with half a vanilla bean, split and scraped, 1/3 cup of cane sugar and a couple teaspoons of lemon zest. When it just comes to simmer, but not a boil, you will remove it from the heat. Stir 2 Tbsp of cold water together with one teaspoon of gelatin. Pour into lightly oil ramekins and place it in the reefer overnight.

[Image: panacotta.jpg]

Once they have set up overnight you can begin to prepare the sauce, 1/3 cup of honey, 6 nice large strawberries sliced, 1/3 cup of cane sugar. Cook this down till the strawberries are soft. 2 Large strawberries cut to fan
for garnish. While that is reducing you can eat dinner. After it is reduced remove the pan and set the bottom in ice water to cool the sauce. Place a small fry pan of water on the stove to aid in the mold releasing. Bring the fry water to a steady simmer and place the ramekin in it for 12
seconds or so. This will allow it to release onto the plate.

[Image: strawberry.jpg]

[Image: slicestraw.jpg]

[Image: reducing.jpg]

[Image: strawjelly.jpg]

Once the jam is cooled it is time to unmold and plate the entire thing up into a dessert.

[Image: simmerwater.jpg]

[Image: unmolded.jpg]

[Image: platedpanacotta.jpg]

This was fantastic!!!!! Tonight it was all about the dessert...

'til we talk again... put the classic on the table..... the cream, the honey, the fresh berries! Ahhhhhhh!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Cotta by bbally (Tonight it was all a...)
Looks So delicious!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Cotta by esgunn (Looks So delicious!...)

thank you - I love this dessert- haven't made on yet but now

will give it a whirl and let you know.

Thanks
Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Cotta by mjkcooking ([br]thank you - I ...)
Looks pretty and makes me want to make it and eat it.

More proof that a good Chef is an artist and a cook and leader since you have led us to this...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Co by firechef (Looks pretty and mak...)
Beautiful presentation, as I've come to expect from you. Thanx for the primer.
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Co by HomeCulinarian (Beautiful presentati...)
Looks great.
The second picture from the bottom on the panna cotta, what is the sprinkley stuff? It looks like pepper?
"There is no love sincerer than the love of food".
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Co by maggiemoo (Looks great.[br]The ...)
I've never had panna cotta but it certainly looks delicious.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Co by maggiemoo (Looks great.[br]The ...)
Quote:

Looks great.
The second picture from the bottom on the panna cotta, what is the sprinkley stuff? It looks like pepper?

The seeds from the madagascar vanilla bean.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Co by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

The seeds from the madagascar vanilla bean.

When I lived in PA, one of the clients of the company for which I worked was a Madagascar vanilla bean importing company. At that time, I had never used, nor even seen a whole vanilla bean. When I asked them where the whole beans could be found, they said they were usually at specialty gourmet stores for about $3-$4 per bean, but then they opened up one of their boxes, pulled out a bundle of them and just gave them to me. When I got home, I counted them. That little bundle had 110 vanilla beans in it! Needless to say, I got quite a bit of good use out of them for quite a while!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tonight it is all about the dessert Panna Co by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have made Panna Cotta many times. We love it. This recipe sounds yummy! I have copied it and can't wait to try it.
Shirley