ICA = Kind Of Sad
  Re: (...)
Last week, they featured Chef Symon (I think he may have been the next Iron Chef??), and Guy Rubino, from Toronto. Rubino and his brother own two restaurants here in Toronto, and had a show on food TV for a few years. A few things. I've never been to their restaurants. I never really liked their show. But, Guy Rubino always intrigued me. He has travelled the world, his recipes have always looked wonderful. He always thought outside the box, and, he shops locally.
While watching ICA, two things struck me. First, most of the camera was on Chef Symon. I kept thinking, there are two Chef's here.

When it came time for tasting, most of it centered again, around Chef Symon. It was as if the panel, and he, were all old chums. Needless to say, Chef Rubino never stood a chance. And what a shame. Just wondering if anyone else saw the show, and if so, what your thoughts are.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by Lorraine (Last week, they feat...)
I don't recall that episode but I have noticed it is like that a lot on that show. The "regular" judges like Jeffery and Ted Allen seem to be buddy buddy with a couple of the "Iron Chefs." It seems Jeffery and Bobby Flay are tight and Ted Allen and Mario Batali seem close. The only one I see that gets real "respect" is Chef Morimoto and he DESERVES it. I wonder about Cat Cora because they all seem to be gunning for her.

I get Food TV Canada newsletters and check out the website regularly and wish I could get my cable provider to carry it. BBC Food would be nice too...oh well I can't even get it on Dish or the other one either. Are you able to check out the differences in each format?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by firechef (I don't recall that ...)
We've seen most of those shows, but don't remember that particular one, think maybe they just went a little overboard 'showcasing' the new Iron Chef?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by Lorraine (Last week, they feat...)
Lorraine,

I did see one ICA with the new Chef Symon. I don't remember who his opponent was but I do remember my hubby and I discussing this at the end of the show. "Why did Symon win? I think the other guy should have won. I guess he had to win because he was new."

Although I think both did a fair job, the opponent seemed to have better dishes overall. Symon seemed VERY nervous. IMHO.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by cjs (We've seen most of t...)
I think you may be right, in that they were showcasing the newest IC. But, I just thought this was blatant.

LJ, I don't get the BBC one, or even the american one, so I have nothing to compare it too. would be interesting to see!

Laura, if the other Chef was a tall, very slim guy, that was probably him. I just love watching him work, and the ideas he comes up with. Hopefully, I'll get to his restaurant soem day!
  Re: Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by Lorraine (I think you may be r...)
I get email newsletters from Food Network Canada and BBC Food and am a forum member at BBC Food so I like to dig a bit. If you complete your part of the "invasion" you'll be able to check out more Food Network (American Style) I have noticed a lot of different shows and hosts on the web sites.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by firechef (I get email newslett...)
LORRAINE!!!

The reason I didn't recall the episode you mentioned is because it was on LAST week in Canada and THIS week in the States...needless to say I "knew" who was going to win and took the time to notice your comments...and I do agree especially with the judges panel being old chums or at least seeming that way.

Now Holly wants to go to Canada and have a brief word with you about ruining the show for her. She does not share my willingness to critique based on your observations...
  Re: Re: ICA = Kind Of Sad by firechef (LORRAINE!!! [br][br]...)
Ooops. Sorry for the spoiler, LJ! Glad you agreed with me though!