Opinions please
  Re: (...)
I have started looking at stoves around the area, mostly dual-fuel. What is your opinion? Will a gas oven hold a steady temperature like an electric oven?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Opinions please by bjcotton (I have started looki...)
yes. I like gas ovens, but have not had one for a few years.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Opinions please by bjcotton (I have started looki...)
I have an electric stove/oven here at home. I'm used to an electric oven so I'd stick with that, but I would love a gas cooktop. (I'm thinking about a new oven for the next house, and I can't wait to see the combi-oven (steam/convection) evolve for the home cook, I know there are some out there but I'll wait for the prices to come down.)

By duel, do you mean an electric oven and gas top? I'd go that way, if I had a choice, but that's just me and my experience. I cook much more at work than at home, sometimes I have a hard time adjusting to that slow, ceramic cooktop. (Still better than coils, not as good as gas).

I'm so excited for you, nothing like a new stove to get you cooking!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Opinions please by pjcooks (I have an electric s...)
I have all electric and wish I had a gas cooktop also. We've looked into the dual fuel versions and have decided to wait until we can afford do it all!

Told my daughter recently that you know your really an adult when you get excited about major appliances!
  Re: Re: Opinions please by cjs (yes. I like gas oven...)
The newer gas ovens are just great - - whether using Natural Gas or Propane ( Propane has a higher BTU output than Natural Gas) they are wonderful in holding temperature settings - - in my opinion better than electric - - and less a maintenance challenge!

Jean - I like your " Never Grow Old" quote!!!!! B
Chef Barttlet
"WE only cook for SINNERS - - we BURN the HELL out of EVERYTHING!"
  Re: Re: Opinions please by ChefBartlett (The newer gas ovens ...)
Thank you all for your opinions. I can hardly believe the difference in price of these things. A dual-fuel 30" range is $1700; a 40" gas range is $700. Oh well, I'll have to see which one my BIL is willing to go for I liked the looks of the 40" gas range better, plus it had a warming drawer.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Opinions please by bjcotton (Thank you all for yo...)
After having Electric ovens - we finaly got a Gas Range with two ovens
and the bottom one is a Convetion/gas oven the smaller oven is great
for small meals mine is a Maytag and I really like it. I believe it is called
a Gemini Oven.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Opinions please by mjkcooking (After having Electr...)
I am a fan of gas...I don't have anything fancy at my home but my new stove/oven is gas as everything here is gas. Natural Gas lines and mains are all over. It is one of your regular utilities around here. The only people with electric live in VERY rural areas so until we move to our new house I have NG and then will have propane.

I never had gas until right before moving here and I live by them for stovetops and ovens now. The temps seem pretty steady and accurate as the thermostat is good. That is the key to any oven.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Opinions please by firechef (I am a fan of gas......)
When I moved from a house in which I had been renting two rooms (and could also use the existing kitchen, etc.), to my current apartment, I had to get all my own furniture and appliances. Since I got to make the choice, this time, I bought a six-burner, gas range:

[Image: 96h834l1700eu8.jpg]

It's certainly not a Wolf, a Viking, or the like - it's a Mabe, and made in Mexico, but it does a great job for my purposes, and was the best I could afford. About the only thing it doesn't have is a broiler, but I don't usually need a full-oven broiler, anyway, so my six-slice toaster-oven handles that sufficiently, most of the time.

Aside from just cooking better, the gas is less costly than the electricity. It's only $10 for a 25-lb propane tank, and that includes home delivery (by a guy who has a motorcycle with a rack on the back that holds two such tanks). When I run out, he brings a full tank over, hooks it up, and takes the empty one away.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Opinions please by labradors (When I moved from a ...)
Nothing wrong with made in Mexico unless you used to work for Maytag down in Newton, Iowa or Electrolux/Whirlpool in Webster City, Iowa...

I have a Hot Point brand 4 burner single oven gas job made in Mexico myself...and those are made by Electrolux so I am a bad boy too. Got mine for half price as it was a floor model at Best Buy...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)