Matzo Ball Soup?
  Re: (...)
Anyone have a tried and true Matzo Ball Soup recipe they'd like to share? I have "googled" and all of that and am just not impressed. As we know I like to play with the cuisines of "other cultures" and I am in hopes to add more "traditional" Jewish dishes to my "skills" as Greek, Italian and Middle Eastern Cuisines are my "regulars" and it just makes since.

Thanks to anyone and everyone for sharing...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by firechef (Anyone have a tried ...)
Why not email June? I haven't checked her book to see if she has a recipe in there, but would be surprised if she doesn't.

Just looked, there isn't but I'm sure she has one that she would share.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by cjs (Why not email June? ...)
Good idea...duh on my part. Didn't know if anyone here had an old family recipe around. Sometimes those are so much better than the stuff you find in a cookbook. More personality in some of the "individual" recipes.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by firechef (Good idea...duh on m...)
Just one way to go - but maybe someone here will have a family version. I'd love to see it also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by firechef (Anyone have a tried ...)
Well, I went poking about in my collection of cookbooks to find "Ladles of Love" published by the Temple Sisterhood of the Anshe Hesed Congregation of Erie, PA. Have never tried the recipe, but here goes.

Matzah Balls, German Style (for Passover)

4 plain, unsalted matzot
1 small onion, minced
1 tsp. salt
pinch of ground ginger
2 tbsp. chicken fat
2 eggs
pinch of pepper
2 tbsp. matzah meal

Break the matzot into small pieces and then soak in water until soft. Squeeze dry. Melt fat in a skillet and cook the onion until golden. Add matzot and stir until the mixture does not adhere to the pan (2-3 minutes). Cool. Add eggs, seasoning, and matzah meal. Form into small balls (they will greatly increase in size during cooking) and let stand 1 hour in refrigerator. Place balls in boiling, salted water. When they rise to the surface, cover the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately in chicken soup. Makes 16.

Is this what you were looking for? It sounds yummy to me!
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by iBcookin (Well, I went poking ...)
That'll work. Kambree and I have a trip to Des Moines for her second flu shot on Monday and we are making a couple of side trips to some shops down there. I have to stop at the place that I did the cooking demo with Chef Bayless with to go over the details to this years demo. It is either going to be Chef Susan Spicer or Chef Bobby Flay.

They have all the "odd" things there that I can't get at the only groceries stores around here like the stuff in this recipe and some of the others around here.
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by firechef (That'll work. Kambr...)
LJ-

My eldest daughter and I used to live in a wonderful Jewish community. It was a wonderful neighborhood. We had loads of friends and wonderful Jewish mothers everywhere. We used to live 1/2 a block from Sol's Deli. Makes me hungry just thinking of it.

I have soup recipe from a neighbor lady that you can use storebought Matzo or there is a recipe attached to make your own homemade Matzo. I've never made the homemade Matzo, but it looks really easy. I will post it a little later tonight when I have some more time.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by firechef (That'll work. Kambr...)
I am having trouble locating this recipe at the moment. I will do a search for it today, I must have put it in a non-regular spot. Be patient, the soup is worth it!
Laura
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by luvnit (I am having trouble ...)
waiting, waiting, waiting, patiently waiting.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Matzo Ball Soup? by cjs (waiting, waiting, wa...)
I will go through my folders today. I have one part of this recipe. This was 2 or 3 part deal. I remember the paper it was written on... Now I know I have a purpose today.
Laura