A sauce for meatballs?
  Re: (...)
Ok my brain just went poof. I had a recipe for small meatballs that are covered in sauce that is a little bit sweet and a bit savory. Well I have about 18 lbs of meatballs made for Saturday. But for the life of me cannot find the darn sauce recipe that goes with them. I make the meatballs so often that I know it by heart.

So any suggestions I would love. This dish is being served in two chaffing dishes and served hot.

As to make sure I'm not going crazy...for some odd reason grape jelly keeps popping into my head. But then again...maybe I am crazy.
  Re: A sauce for meatballs? by DFen911 (Ok my brain just wen...)
probably one of these old standbys,

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup shortening
12 fluid ounces tomato-based chili sauce
1 1/4 cups grape jelly
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by bbally (probably one of thes...)
Where does the sauce start? At the Worcestershire sauce? I have the meatballs all done.

And I'm not sure..but shortening in sauce?
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by DFen911 (Where does the sauce...)
I'm thinking the tomato base chili sauce and jelly makes the sauce. I knew it was just jelly and something, but just couldn't remember what the something was. Mix a small batch and try it...I think you'll be able to "see" your recipe then.

Now that I think on it, the ones I've had have been nothing more than the local favorite BBQ sauce and enough grape jelly to "sweeten it up".
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm thinking the tom...)
Denise, the recipe that I have used for years calls for a can of jellied cranberry sauce, and a 12 oz. bottle of Heinz chili sauce per 2 lbs. of meat. I have heard of using grape jelly instead of the cranberry.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by Mare749 (Denise, the recipe t...)
OoO the cranberry might add a nice tang.

Thanks guys
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by DFen911 (OoO the cranberry mi...)
How about an arrabiatta sauce (no meat) plus some cranberry of some sort. Sweet,tart, and hot???
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by Old Bay (How about an arrabia...)
Recipe?
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by DFen911 (Recipe? [img]/ubbthr...)
Arrabiatta (with or without sausage)
3 T olive oil
8 oz bulk spicy Italian sausage crumbled
3 cloves garlic,sliced
1 C yellow onions diced
1 1/2 C yellow or red bell pepper sliced
1 t red pepper flakes
1/4 C dry white wine
1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
salt to taste
1/2 C thinly sliced fresh basil
1/4 C Parmesan, shredded
cranberry addition
Heat oil in sauce pan over med-high heat. Brown sausage in oil, about 3 min. Discard sausage if you do not want them in the sauce. Add garlic, onions, bell pepper, and pepper flakes. Saute until onions are tender , abt 4 min.
Deglaze with wine, scraping up brown bits, simmer until reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes and cook until heated thru--2-3 min. Add cranberry sauce/sugar mixture to taste-stir--keep warm, add cooked meatballs, stir and add salt to taste. Serve over your favorite pasta. I don't know, give it a try,sounds good to me.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A sauce for meatballs? by Old Bay (Arrabiatta (with or ...)
Love that old grape jelly/cranberrysauce and chili sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com