Braaipap ?????
  Re: (...)
I bought some yesterday. Didn't know what it was, but for $3.00 a kilo, I thought I would chance it. What's to lose, right? When I googled it, here's what I found:

Braaipap/ South African coarse white cornmeal

It is a German butcher shop, and the lady's English is about as good as my German, so there wasn't much info exchanged. Just wondering if anyone has used it, or heard of it. Hoping to hear from all our resident South Africaans. (Hello Roxanne!)
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Braaipap ????? by Lorraine (I bought some yester...)
Did you see this one? looks interesting -
Crumbly Maize with
Tomato and Onion Sauce

Outdoor Wok

Krummelpap is a crumbly maize porridge essential to the South African Braaivleis, or as we know it a Barbecue. The tomato sauce is made after the Boerewors sausages are fried in a wok-like pan. The sauce is served with the sausages and crumbly maize porridge. Braaipap is available from Protea Imports. An outdoor Wok is available from www.thesizzler.com.

Krummelpap

4 cups water
¼ teaspoon salt
3 cups Braaipap/ South African coarse white cornmeal
1 cup water

Tomato and Onion Sauce

2 large yellow onions, chopped
4 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup malt vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Pinch salt
Ground black pepper

1. Krummelpap: Put water, salt and braaipap in a 3-quart
casserole. Bake covered in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour.
Break up with a fork, sprinkle with 1 cup water. Cover and bake for
10 additional minutes. Fluff up with a fork. The krummelpap should
be crumbly and not smooth and moist.

2. Tomato and Onion Sauce: Sauté onions and tomatoes in
a 5-quart sauté pan until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar,
Worcestershire sauce, sugar, mustard, cornstarch mixed with
water, salt and pepper.

3. Simmer until thick then serve over crumbly maize porridge.

Hint: The porridge will also cook quickly in the microwave
on high power.

Makes 6 servings
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by cjs (Did you see this one...)
Thanks, Jean. Topped with a runny egg, wouldn't that make a great breakfast?

Strange, they had the Boerewors sausages, as well as a bunch of others. I'll have to ask what the connection to SA is for them.
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. Toppe...)
Quote:

Thanks, Jean. Topped with a runny egg, wouldn't that make a great breakfast?

Yes!! The runny egg tops it off for me! Thanks for the idea.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. Toppe...)
The runny egg got me ( variety of grits--enhanced!!) I can adjust!! I love my Yankee friends.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by Old Bay (The runny egg got me...)
YUM!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by cjs (YUM! [img]/ubbthread...)
Braaipap is a MAJOR staple here----it is cornmeal, only the white version. Mealie-meal is another nomenclature---this is what most of the culture (black---don't want to offend anyone here--but the townships survive on this!!)

I have used this in some of my bread or cornmeal recipes---works beautifully----but it is a VERY coarse cornmeal product.....if you can overlook the non-yellow bit---NO difference. This is very similar to semolina, if any one knows that product.

BOERWORS!!!!! Those are South African sausages and is the first thing on the menu when daughter Wendy visits (well---next to the chopped liver) There are several variations of this sausage---traditional, farmstyle, venison, ostrich, thin, thick-----Peter loves them but I have found them a bit greasy---smells great when cooking though. This is one of the MUSTS when the South Africans have a 'braai' (barbecue for an American).

Where on earth did you dig this up, Lorraine?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by Roxanne 21 (Braaipap is a MAJOR ...)
speaking of sausage, Roxanne, did you see the thread about Fresh Garlic Breakfast sausge a week or so ago?? It's delicious.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by Roxanne 21 (Braaipap is a MAJOR ...)
" Where on earth did you dig this up, Lorraine "

Funny you should ask, Roxanne. We were at the butcher's this week. For the last ten years, I thought it was a German butcher store. I asked my brother yesterday what he thought the connection was between a German butcher store, and all the South African products. He looked at me like I had grown horns. Turns out, it's not German at all. Simply, an "Old World Butcher". The young girl who normally serves us speaks very little English, so conversing with her doesn't happen easily. It's the only place we can find whole ham hocks, unsmoked. and, I found oxtails there, as well as great short ribs. This week, I bought frozen cocktail samosas. Anxious to see what they're like!

I'll have to buy some of the sausages next time I'm there. And, some of the biltong jerky. It had a great taste. For breakfast next weekend, I'm doing the recipe Jean posted. With an egg on top!
  Re: Re: Braaipap ????? by Lorraine (" Where on earth did...)
so much for slacking off on meat, huh?

(me too, we're having hash - with meat...)
www.achefsjourney.com