Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff
  Re: (...)
We love beef stroganoff and I have made many, many versions over the years. This one was very different and really great. But I have to say this too - I screwed up this recipe at every turn! And it still turned out just great.

Let me say this in my defense: I have been sick for 3 weeks, I think I had the flu since hubby just tested positive for the Type A Influenza. Now I think I have some sort of 'walking pneumonia'. Neither of which the doctors can do anything about. So we have been going to bed early and trying to eat healthy.

Back to the recipe. These are the things I screwed up. Sometimes when C@H writes a recipe, the way I read it gets me confused. I like the way they do it, but it is kinda tricky.

I didn't have a 'swisser' so while I was at the market, I asked the butcher to prepare the meat the way the magazine requested. It was perfect! And I saved myself from buying another contraption for the kitchen. I browned the meat and set it aside, but forgot to salt and pepper half of it. Then the recipe said Add and saute: mushrooms butter and onions, so I did. Only to realize it was actually sautee mushrooms till golden, set aside, melt butter saute onions, then stir in the tomato paste. Then I did the same thing on the next portion one part of the recipe said Deglaze with: sherry, broth, broth. So I did, only to realize it was acutally deglaze with sherry, reduce, then add broths later.

Okay then my final screw up was because I never set aside the mushrooms to begin with, sooooo. I added the meat back in put it in the oven, not reduced, with mushrooms. I thought it was a complete failure.

It turned out really wonderful. Nice flavor and a wonderful thick gravy. The dill sour cream is a nice touch. I loved it. My 4 yr old son loved it so much he said, "This is delicious! You are a chef!" He proceeded to eat 2 plates full sans mushrooms. I held those back for my little guy.

Important Note: I used a new brand of egg noodles. The brand was DaVinci. I usually dislike the flavor of storebought egg noodles for some reason, they taste funny to me. These were perfect in every way. Taste texture, etc. Worth the few extra cents. IMHO.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the Matzo Ball Soup. Haven't had a chance to look. Sick, car broke down, in the shop, $600! had to take a nap to forget my woes and sickness. I'll be workin on it though!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by luvnit (We love beef strogan...)
Thanks for the review, Laura, I'm glad it was a hit even with all the mishaps. My kids would eat this, some night this week we'll cook together. I agree with the way the recipes are written, sometimes you need to look long and hard to straighten things out.

Sorry you and your car are under the weather. This has been a bad winter all around.

Feel better soon

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by pjcooks (Thanks for the revie...)
Hope you feel better soon. I have been fighting a cold or something and have developed a heck of a tremor. Thanks for taking the time to do these great recipes and review them.

OT-Hey PJ got enough snow yet? Kind of like February of 2002 from what I see on tv.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by firechef (Hope you feel better...)
It is easy to get screwed up with the way they lay out the ingredients/methods!! Thanks Laura, now go back to bed!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by cjs (It is easy to get sc...)
While choosing my menu this week I was vacillating between the stroganoff and the Swiss steak, and picked the Swiss steak. I'll give the stroganoff a try on your recommendation.

I have also screwed up in the same ways. Usually, whatever it is turns out fine... with the exception of baked goods. Then, following the instructions really makes a difference.

Earlier issues of C@H broke down the prep and cooking steps more than they do lately. I also think I used to need the extra instructions more than I do now. Now that you mention it, I realize that I am reading and rereading the C@H recipes while I'm cooking.

Hope you're all feeling well soon. There are some nasty viruses out there. We've had two cases of meningitis at the University!
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by firechef (Hope you feel better...)
I think I heard we're closing in on the record 128 inches. Yikes. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, it seems like everyone has caught this bug, coast to coast!

Rest up

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by HomeCulinarian (While choosing my me...)
Laura, I hope you're feeling better! I hate car trouble. Last year, it seemed we had a vehicle in the shop every week. With 5 cars, that's a lot of money. My mechanic bought a new Dodge Charger a month or so ago. I SWEAR he had to have paid for most of it with our repair bills!

YS LOVES beef stroganoff! I hope my issue comes in soon. I'm disappointed with the early reviews of the recipes inside so far. Maybe this one will be a good one for our house.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by luvnit (We love beef strogan...)
Glad others have to re-read directions several times--I thought it was just me. Unless I am really organizated, it's difficult to stir, saute, add, etc. and read the directions at the same time. Another one that puzzles me in their format is "how much does this recipe serve"??
Madeline
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by pink_eagle (Glad others have to ...)
Quote:

... "how much does this recipe serve"??

With the way I like Beef Stroganoff, it would probably only serve one. When I was a kid, and my mom would make Beef Stroganoff for dinner, I would also take more Beef Stroganoff as dessert!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Issue 68 - Beef Stroganoff by pink_eagle (Glad others have to ...)
Madeline,

I too was wondering how much this served. They didn't specify a meat quantity either. I had a 2.7 lb roast that I worked with.

The recipe also didn't specify how much noodles to cook. I would bet this recipe was supposed to serve 8-10 people. However, I am with Labs on his observation. It may serve far fewer depending on your love for beef stroganoff.

We did have to purchase another pound of pasta to serve the leftovers. The leftovers were even better than the first night.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura