Anyone make homemade baby food?
  Re: (...)
Kambree has just started eating "solids" and is eating Gerber Stage 1 Baby Food mixed with Gerber Grain Cereals now. With the cleft palate still present until June 10th or 12th (yes Mom I'll remind you when it is closer!) she is able to "spit" food and bubbles of stuff out her nose still...odd but funny but sad.

Anyway does anyone have any "tried and true" baby food recipes?

I have a great big Kitchen Aid Food Processor so we can puree and then some. I know the doctors are saying no peanut butter or eggs until age 1 these days so we are avoiding those ingredients still. She is just over 8 months old (corrected age is about 6 and a half months from the preemie thing) and likes Gerber Sweet Potatoes and Bananas so far.

I know some say just puree adult food but I have heard of "real" recipes around for baby food and just wondered if anyone had any to share?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by firechef (Kambree has just sta...)
I don't have any "baby food" recipes. I just always processed table food. (Was very careful with salt and other seasonings in those days. We ate bland for a while there. That's when we got hooked on Cavendar's Greek Seasoning and Nature's Seasoning Salt...had to have something to season when we ate the "plain" food...LOL!)

Hopefully, somebody here has some REAL baby food recipes.

BTW, what do the jarred foods list for ingredients?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by Gourmet_Mom (I don't have any "ba...)
The food, water, and "Fortified with..." lists. Mostly some extra vitamins and minerals. Not much...

BTW...they are in plastic air tight containers now. Jars are so "old hand-ish" I mean "old fashioned...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by firechef (The food, water, and...)
Seriously, I find it hard to understand why it has to be "fortified" if it's made from fresh. So I'm trying to process that one.

Next, you are seriously "cruisin' for a bruisin'" young man....LOL!!!!!!!! "old hand-ish" indeed!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by Gourmet_Mom (Seriously, I find it...)
I think they like to "add" things to make it seem like they are "helping" the children grow up big and strong...does not make sense to me either.

I'd think that anything fruit or vegetable pureed would be good for now and then other foods as the "stages" change. The odd thing is Stage 2 Gerber stuff does not mention being "fortified" and comes with "mixed" flavors of stuff. They have an "organic" line as well. Not too sure about "organic" baby food in a "jar" either.

Once again if anyone has any ideas or recommendations I am a sponge waiting to absorb whatever you can share...
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by firechef (I think they like to...)
FC check out this site - http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/ They even have broken down by month.

I know for the veggies never boil them. I'd use the microwave steamer bags and then blend in your processor.

I'm checking my pressure cooker book too for you.
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by DFen911 (FC check out this si...)
Cool site...bookmarked and emailed to Holly so I don't forget to tell her about it in the morning. The never boil thing I knew. A bunch of the things on the site I never thought of at all.

Thank you from me and from Kambree and even Mommy...gosh she snores loud!
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by firechef (Cool site...bookmark...)
I wish I could help you more. I bought a book called Better Baby Food and was going to be the perfect mother and make my kids baby food - but it didn't happen - wonder why... We just used jars. We came up with a great many uses for baby food jars!

I did use the book a few times - great ideas for baby to toddler foods. Good luck. I think at this age, you are supposed to just introduce single flavors and mainly so you can watch for alergic reactions. Along that line - not too many new foods at one time/week. So you can watch for the reactions. No honey either until they are two I think. Start off with vegies and don't make them all the sweet vegies - carots, and sweet potatoes. You can easily start a taste preference. Also, babies are not born wanting or needing salt - so be very careful on using salt in your babies foods or adult foods feeding to babies. Salt as well as sugar is a learned preference in foods.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by esgunn (I wish I could help ...)
Erin, you took the words right out of my mouth. With the first one, I made a lot of my own baby food, just pureeing plain fruits and veg. When the other two came along I was grateful for Gerbers.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Anyone make homemade baby food? by firechef (Kambree has just sta...)
LJ,
When my kids were at the baby food stage I tried to make as much of their food as I could. Mostly, I would steam fresh veggies or fruit and run them through the food processor. If they seemed a little too thick I would add formula or a little of the steaming liquid to thin it out.

When the kids were a little older my sister got a baby food cookbook for me called "First Meals" by Annabel Karmel (I checked and they still have it available at Amazon.)

The only other tip I have is that I would make the food up in big batches and use Tupperware ice cube trays to freeze them (the Tupperware trays have lids), pop out the cubes and store them in big Ziploc bags. I found that one cube was about 2 tbsps.

Good luck!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]