PBS cooking shows...
  Re: (...)
Interesting stuff going on at PBS...here in Iowa we only have four shows on Saturdays but it looks like the line-up is growing to SIX shows including a show from Chef Sara Moulton! She has left Food Network for PBS and they just mentioned a traveling the world eating kind of show from Chef Mario Batali!

Could this be a return to days gone by for PBS cooking shows? One could only hope so...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: PBS cooking shows... by firechef (Interesting stuff go...)
Oh I hope so! Out here all of our shows have been pulled and replaced with other things. I so miss the cooking shows. They used to even show reruns of Julia, now she's fun to watch
  Re: PBS cooking shows... by firechef (Interesting stuff go...)
Well, I just checked it out, and NOT ONE of those shows appear to be available here. DARN!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I just checked...)
Looks like we get America Test Kitchen - which i like on our PBS Channel

I really like Sara Mouton - have had some great dishes from her cook books

Her programs are always interesting.

Enjoy
M
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by mjkcooking (Looks like we get Am...)
Iowa Public Television is doing a member drive and previewing the new Sara Moulton show pretty much all day and have her in "studio" with all sorts of her things for thank you gifts. Sorry, I can not afford $225.00 donation for two cook books!

I think the other new shows are just entering production. It is interesting how many of the "real" Chefs are LEAVING Food Network...too much marketing and "entertainment" and not enough substance is what Chef Mouton said. Talk about a public slap in the face to Food Network.

Looks like Mario Batali is coming to Des Moines for the summer cooking demo and fund raiser so I am in hopes of being selected to do the demos and dinner again since last years was a smashing success and got all sorts of good publicity for Iowa Public Television, the host grocery store and the place hosting the dinner. I hope to hear soon...that would be so nice.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by firechef (Iowa Public Televisi...)
The new Chef Moulton show is not "available" to other PBS markets until late April. We are getting a "special" preview for the membership drive...so sorry. It is a cool show and is based on a cook at home every night kind of theme.

"Sara's Secrets for Weeknight Meals" or something like that...

The other book they are pushing is "Sara Moulton Cooks at Home"
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by firechef (The new Chef Moulton...)
All we get is the Lidia in Italy show once a week! That's it.

I do love cooking shows where they acutally cook. Food Network has really added a lot of shows to the network that are marginal, at best. I really dislike the food shows where they travel and just eat food I am never gonna get to try and go places I will never see in my lifetime. Although I like the Diners, Driveins and Dives type shows. The food looks great, the people and stories behind hte restaurants are great and I might actually get to go there. Someday. I like the Throwdown show (I like to see Bobby be humble for a change and be a gracious loser, it more becoming). I like the Challenge shows, those are really cool. Not sure I like the Ace of Cakes. It's just OK. Then of course there is the Iron Chef. Love that show, but I am not sure if Cat Cora really has what it takes. Seems like she loses a lot. I am sure she's a wonderful chef, but maybe Iron Chef is not her gig. JMHO
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by luvnit (All we get is the Li...)
I forget whether they were on PBS or Food Network, but I miss the Two Fat Ladies. Of course, one of them is dead, now, but they were not exactly the youngest cooking-show hostesses.

Here's one of their recipes I really enjoyed.

Mitton of Pork

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz Rashers of streaky bacon
  • 1 1/2 lb Pork fillet; thinly sliced
  • 6 oz Sage and onion stuffing; not from a packet
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Ground mace
Instructions:
  1. Line a 7-inch pudding basin with most of the bacon rasher, reserving a few for the top.
  2. Put in a layer of pork, then stuffing, season with salt, pepper and mace.
  3. Continue this layering process until the basin is full, finishing with the reserved bacon.
  4. Press down well, then cover tightly.
  5. Stand the basin in a baking pan to catch drips.
  6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
  7. Place a weighted board over the pudding and leave until completely cold.
  8. Turn out the mitton and slice to serve.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by labradors (I forget whether the...)
LOVED the Two Fat Ladies! They also weren't the skinniest, nor did they feel the need to up the anty with a contest to see how low the neckline can plunge!! Whew, mental image there!! Really missed that show.

Sounds like Sara's new show on PBS was a lot like what she first started out doing on the Food Network, long before it was cool. And she always cooked in a chef's coat, her hair pulled back, and "impeccably clean hands." Ah, for the good old days!
  Re: Re: PBS cooking shows... by iBcookin (LOVED the Two Fat La...)
"impeccably clean hands." - loved her show.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com