Old Threads
  Re: (...)
I started browsing through the old threads beginning with page 423 [the last one available] moving toward the current ones. I didn't realize there used to be so many people I'd never heard of; also, how many times the same topics came up. There were some interesting posts. I realize there are no dumb questions, but some of them were a little on the simple side...course I've probably asked some simple questions in the past and the readers were probably rolling their eyes like I did at some of these
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Old Threads by bjcotton (I started browsing t...)
It is a shame some of the "old" posters are no longer here. Some had some great concepts and ideas with food. Others were quite simple I agree...then again I must agree with you yet again. There are no stupid questions just a bunch of stupid people asking questions...I mean the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...yeah that's it.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Old Threads by firechef (It is a shame some o...)
Hey who you calling old??
  Re: Re: Old Threads by DFen911 (Hey who you calling ...)
I've had a blast today and a couple other afternoons doing searches with various words. Today's word was review. Some really cool stuff!

Regarding the simple questions....I have been known to ask QUITE a few! I like to think I've gotten better. It hit me today that I've not had to ask too many questions about certain ingredients or cooking techniques, nor referenced Cook's Thesaurus in a VERY long time! Thanks to the great people on this site and others, I have learned a LOT! That and their recommendations in reading material! (I find myself reading not one, but three right now...LOL! Peterson's Sauces, Hazan's Essentials in Classical Italian Cooking, and Nigella Lawson's How to Eat. When I get bogged down in one, I switch to another. Learning a LOT!) Speaking of which...what happened to our next book club recommendation? HMMMM?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Old Threads by Gourmet_Mom (I've had a blast tod...)
I have to agree with you Daphne, I've learned so very much here. I gave my dog-eared Food Lover's Companion and the ....Tiptionary to a friend, bought myself new ones that although they still sit on my desk I don't refer to all that often, nor to some of the teaching cookbooks I have.

Cis, as the old saying goes, "If the Phoo $hits, wear it!"

Billy
  Re: Re: Old Threads by bjcotton (I have to agree with...)
I love the old threads - all I can say is, "I was young and needed the money..."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Old Threads by bjcotton (I started browsing t...)
" I realize there are no dumb questions, but some of them were a little on the simple side..."

but, but , but..I think it really depends on where your level of comfort is. Someone may ask a question about phyllo that I think is really basic, but , only because I love working with it, and have done so for years. But, if I , on the other hand, venture out into the world of , say, Mexican cooking, which is totally foreign to me, I can almost see eyeballs rolling from those who cook it all the time. As an example. Jean gave me a recipe for Russian dressing last week. Something so simple, so basic, but I had never made it. I made a double batch, and have been eating it on almost everything I make. ( It's really great to dip sweet potato fries in) Who would have thought something so basic would be so good!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Old Threads by cjs (I love the old threa...)
Just what were you doing for the money when you were young Jean dear? Bless your sweet little heart

Well Lolly, I remember when you called you mentioned that salad dressing, but I don't see the recipe.

Billy
  Re: Re: Old Threads by bjcotton (Just what were you d...)
Billy, I just posted it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Old Threads by Lorraine (Billy, I just posted...)
Well, I have the money now, so I ain't talkin'.....

That IS a good dressing, isn't it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com