Here's a Question....
  Re: (...)
I found that I have two wedges of Pecorino Romano cheese in my refrigerator and other than grating it and spreading it on lasagna, I have no idea of what else to do with it. I tasted a chunk of it, Buddy thought it was great, but I wasn't inclined to eat it plain...suggestions?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Here's a Question.... by bjcotton (I found that I have ...)
I shaved off pieces of some Pecorino Romano with a veg. peeler and put it into a salad to give the salad an Italian flair (I was serving stuffed shells as the entree). People seemed to enjoy that!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Here's a Question.... by mlucas1 (I shaved off pieces ...)
Hey Billy, mix up a batch of the below and treat your buddy there in Roseberg or when your '59-year old sister' comes down.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PARMESAN SALSA (Salsa di Parmigiano)

1/2 lb Parmesan, not too dry
1/2 lb Asiago Cheese, not too dry
2 Tbsps chopped green onions
2 tsps minced garlic
2 tsps dried oregano
1 tsp freshly grd. black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil

Remove any rind from the cheeses & chop the cheeses into rough 1" chunks.
Pulse the cheese in a food processor till reduced to the size of fine pea gravel.
Transfer cheese to a bowl and stir in the green onion & garlic.
Add the oregano, rubbing it 'tween your fingers to release the fragrance.
Add the black pepper, red pepper flakes, and olive oil

Stir well, Cover & let stand at room temp. for at least 4 hours before using.
Serve on crackers or toasted baguettes.

Yield:
"2 1/2 c"

Serving Ideas : Left over:
Put a pasta bowl over a big pot of water over med. heat; put left over 'salsa' in the bowl and add some capers, kalamatas, sundried tomatoes (if you have some). when water boils, remove pasta dish and keep warm; cook favorite pasta, drain and add to the pasta bowl. Mix it all up, liberally grate fresh black pepper and enjoy!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
In a steak and mushroom calzone with ricotta and mozzerella, a simple tomato sauce for dipping....

PJ
PJ
Do you have mushrooms hanging around, Billy? Add the cheese to some fresh bread crumbs and herbs (go raid the neighbours garden!), and stuff the mushrooms. Or do some stuffed peppers. I like it grated on salads with toasted pine nuts. Always good on homemade pizza. Or, grate some on to any topping you have for crostini. And, Jean's recipe looks really good!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Here's a Question.... by Lorraine (Do you have mushroom...)
But Lorraine, she doesn't mention Pecorino Romano, just that Asiago. I bought a small chunk and Buddy didn't want it either. I suppose I could sub the Romano for the Asiago.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Here's a Question.... by bjcotton (But Lorraine, she do...)
Nothing to fancy but you can make a great cheese sauce - heavy cream, salt and pepper and the grated cheese cooked over medium low till you reach the consistency you want.

I also use it to make a great grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. Inside is a good melting cheese and slices of tomato, and outside..well normally grilled cheese has just butter on the outside. I butter the outside and then put the shredded Parmeasan or Romano on the outside when it's grilling. YUM!
Mmmmm... love those sheep's-milk cheeses. I've already mentioned Manchego a number of times, but Pecorino Romano is fantastic, too. I'm not crazy about blue-veined cheese, though, so I haven't tried Roquefort, yet (they don't have that here, anyway).

Actually, Pecorino Romano IS good plain, but should be at room temperature, first.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Billy - I often sub Romano for Parmeasean. I think the kids even prefer it. A little more bite and a little stronger. Usually just on pasta with butter, herbs and romano - maybe a little garlic and/or lemon zest. If I have it on hand I use it and always where I would use parmesean. Sort of funny for me - because I think it is a sheeps milk cheese and I really am not a goats milk cheese fan. Who knows. If all else fails, cut in small chunks and freeze. Hard cheese freezes pretty well - especially if used grated when defrosted.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Here's a Question.... by esgunn (Billy - I often sub ...)
think substitutions, Billy J - bless your heart!!

(geez, you do it with every other recipe you try... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com