Personal Chef - Not Caterer
  Re: (...)
Why? I really want to do the personal chef thang...but darn if I'm not getting more calls for large catering jobs. Lol!

Another lady called to day, by way of a recommendation from a person I have never heard of. So I'm assuming they (the recommendor) must have been at one of the parties that I did.

Well it's a brunch for 30 people for a little charmer who's turning 90 years old How cute it that?!

I sent her over my estimate and menu ideas so we'll see what happens.

But what's hard is I do not have the means to travel with food I don't have the hot boxes to take hot food with me, nor do I own any decent icechests. Oh I have an ice chest..but it's ugly as sin! I'd be embarassed to have anyone see who's not already on the beach and half sloshed hahaha.

Jean I think I can see why you went the catering route, it does seem to be the natural progression. But darnit I want my shot at the personal chef experience first.
  Re: Personal Chef - Not Caterer by DFen911 (Why? I really want t...)
Denise, I sure hope you get your time as a personal chef. I really did enjoy it! And you become almost a part of the family after a while.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Denise - I don't know if I should congratulate you on your wonderful successes and your growing reputation, or commiserate with your frustrations!

I can understand the wanting to be a personal chef and build up that part of your business. I hope it comes along for you! I bet it is hard to build up a client base at first. Before you know it you will have more referalls than you know what to do with. Glad people still want to party though!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Coolers that fold up aren't that expensive. We just saw one at Costco for under 30.00 - with wheels! Coolers also work as "hot boxes". I'd want to test how long a cooler would maintain a desired heat before blindly trusting it - but it is worth a try. I do know that they keep cold food icy cold.

Bob and I are going to try to do "special events" with on site cooking. We just don't have the facilities for catering now. But we're thinking that someday. . . . .?

We just met a most delightful young man who spent 6 years courting our Jennifer. He manages a very nice restaurant in SF - and he's good friends with a number of professional athletes that he plans to promote us to. He said the last thing they want to do when they are home on a break between games is go out to dinner every night. Crossing fingers!!!

I know where you're coming from, and from Jean's information we're really excited about PC'ing. Denise you'll do great whatever path you take!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Personal Chef - Not Caterer by Harborwitch (Coolers that fold up...)
I'm like Erin....I don't know whether to congratulate you or sympathize with you...LOL! But at least you're out there. I'm assuming you are passing the word at these events that you are interested in personal chef clients?

Hey, I'd be happy to have the opportunity for either! One day maybe. I'm a little worried lately. I noticed cramped hands while doing knife work this weekend. I'm hoping it is a vitamin deficiency or something. It's happened before...while driving....YIKES! I need to try to figure out what's causing it. It becomes almost debilitating. One afternoon, I had to pull off the road.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Personal Chef - Not Caterer by Gourmet_Mom (I'm like Erin....I d...)
Oh Daphne, I hope its not the start of something bad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Personal Chef - Not Caterer by cjs (Oh Daphne, I hope it...)
It's happened a few times over the past year. But never when doing knife work. I have a physical soon, so I'm bringing to the docs attention.
Daphne
I would think if you had a robust PC business, you wouldn't have much time for catering... but catering gigs could lead to PC jobs. At the catered events around here, the caterer's name is subtly advertised -- on the side of the van in the driveway, or on the name tags the servers wear. So if you don't have the van, people must be earnestly following up to get your name. That's a real compliment to you!

While in culinary school in Chicago, my son was personal chef for a professional couple with one child. He says now that it was great during that time in his life, but he'd have been bored after a while being constrained to those three people's tastes. He laughs now about the boy who only ate "white food" (chicken breasts and noodles or rice) green apples and red grapes. He also felt a bit like a servant, which really isn't in his personality. So, maybe be careful what you wish for?!?

After some restaurant jobs, he's happy cooking for a sorority and having total control of the kitchen at the same pay as the restaurant and best of all, he works M-F, 9-5 while he pursues a dietetics degree.
  Re: Re: Personal Chef - Not Caterer by HomeCulinarian (I would think if you...)
I gotta ask...I just gotta!

Your son works in the kitchen of a SORORITY!?!?!? How old is he?

This ought to be good!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Personal Chef - Not Caterer by Gourmet_Mom (I gotta ask...I just...)
". He also felt a bit like a servant," - that's too bad, that feeling never entered my mind. I never felt I worked for them or they were my bosses, I was doing them a darn fine favor.

What also always tickled me was listening to them talk, I knew I had a better housekeeper than they had....only in California!!
www.achefsjourney.com