Russian Dressing
  Re: (...)
I was making Reubens last week, and didn't have a recipe for the dressing, so Jean gave me this one. It is so simple, yet really good. I used it on the Reuben, then on a tomato, lettuce, cheese one, poured some on a wedge of iceberg, dipped some sweet potao fries in it, even used it on celery when I ran out of Cheeze Whiz.
* Exported from MasterCook *

RUSSIAN DRESSING
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1 T. fresh parsley -- chopped
1 T. milk
1 T. onion -- grated
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 drops Tabasco

Mix all together. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Russian Dressing by Lorraine (I was making Reubens...)
Absolutely perfect on a Reuben--"the authetic version".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by Old Bay (Absolutely perfect o...)
HI,

I wonder why it is called Russian, since russians dont use dressings at all.
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by piano226 (HI,[br][br]I wonder ...)
probably because of the early versions using caviar and Russia is well known for caviar - my guess.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by cjs (probably because of ...)
Interesting...the first time i tried salad dressings was when I came to US...still dont like them.
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by piano226 (Interesting...the fi...)
Thanks for posting this Lorraine. And thanks for sharing it Jean. If it's half as good as the honey mustard, I'm gonna love it!

Jean, have you got a good Catalina recipe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by piano226 (Interesting...the fi...)
You're welcome, GM. Piano, do you put anything on your salads at all? Just wondring.
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by Lorraine (You're welcome, GM. ...)
I was wondering also, Lorraine. What a dieter's dream - to enjoy salad with no dressing, that's sure not me!

Catalina dressing, no I don't think I do have one - be interesting to see who comes up with one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by cjs (I was wondering also...)
I always need something on my salad. If I don't add dressig, I'll add chicken / egg salad, something to it htat has dressing. One person in the house eats Catalina. You know, it's tomato based, and I think almost real close to the Russian. I just can't eat the bottled ones.
  Re: Re: Russian Dressing by Lorraine (I always need someth...)
Well in Russia the most popular "dressing" is actually sunflower oil.

We do a lot of salads without lettuce so if it is just tomato, radishes, cucumbers and lets say dill we add some sour cream to it.