Drambuie Liqueur
  Re: (...)
On another website someone asked for recipes making liqueurs and I drug out my old recipes. In the 70s making liqueurs was a big thing and have tasting parties was even bigger - man, were those the days.

Anyway, I've never made one of these that I have but started it a week ago and wow, is it yummy already.

Drambuie Liqueur

3 cups scotch whiskey
1 tsp. Angelica root, chopped fine
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup honey (very light and mild)

Brew the angelica and almond extract with the scotch whiskey for one week in a sealed container.

Strain the mixture thru cheesecloth. Stir in honey. Allow to age for 2 months. Re-strain and enjoy.

-------
I just strained it and added the honey and now I'm waiting for Mother's day....

Here's one way to use it -

Drambuie Dessert

1 oz. Drambuie
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
1 cup fruit (any kind)

Put the oz. of Drambuie into the freezer and freeze till syrupy.
Place the scoop of vanilla ice cream in a dish and embellish with the fruit.
Then pour the syrupy Drambuie over the ice cream and the fruit. Serve immediately.

----

will report back in 2 months.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Drambuie Liqueur by cjs (On another website s...)
I don't think I've ever recovered from the one snifter of Drambuie I had about ten years ago. Whoa! The ice cream idea sounds wonderful.
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by Trixxee (I don't think I've e...)
Sounds great Jean! We have a good friend that LOVED the stuff! Every year at Christmas, we'd give her a bottle. She'd dole it out judiciously and make it last. That was her "special occasion" liqueur. She was typically a scotch and water person, but would break this out after special meals. Now that I see the recipe, it makes sense that this would be her favorite. I never cared for it much and now I know why...I hate scotch! But I would share a small one with her from time to time. I will have to send this on to her. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds great Jean! ...)
Oh, your friend would be the perfect person for this one!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Drambuie Liqueur by cjs (On another website s...)
I LOVE Drambuie. It's a real treat for me. Used to like to order a Rusty Nail after dinner - scotch and Drambuie over ice. YUMMM!

I googled Drambuie to see what it said. Check it out! Drambuie
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by HomeCulinarian (I LOVE Drambuie. It...)
Impatient person that I am - does anything happen after the flame gets to 2008??????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by cjs (Impatient person tha...)
As much as I'd love to, liquers make me goofy.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by Lorraine (As much as I'd love ...)
Funny Lorraine, I finally figured that out. I gave up Kauhlua for that very reason!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by Gourmet_Mom (Funny Lorraine, I fi...)
I have never had Drambuie, but I love Kahlua. I don't have it very often and only have one. The calories don't agree with my waistline. If I am gonna splurge on calories I'll have a second helping, thank you.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Drambuie Liqueur by luvnit (I have never had Dra...)
Once again she brings up liqueurs and the '70s...wish I would have been there to enjoy those days. Maybe it was tasting parties like you mention Jean that actually got me here?

The Ice Cream recipe is really neat...now if the family would realize how serious I have been about the ice cream maker I have wanted for ever and have asked for as a Christmas and Birthday gift for the past three years and never seen I might just make this one...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)