Easter dinner?
  Re: (...)
So, it has been decided that I will be hosting Easter dinner this year. I am in the starting stages of menu planning but this is what I have so far: Roast turkey breast, green beans w/garlic and olive oil, creamed spinach (may be an either or thing) carrots (haven't decided what to do with them yet), whipped sweet potato w/pecan topping (this is more like a dessert but I have to include it!!)For dessert I am going to attempt the Triple Coconut cake w/fruit salsa from issue #62 and I'll probably make a couple of other things as well.

I'm also thinking about making a ham or a pork tenderloin.
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Easter dinner? by mlucas1 (So, it has been deci...)
Have you ever made the old Copper Penny dish using carrots - it's served cold and it's one of the few ways I really enjoy carrots.

Just found this in my MasterCook, but I'm sure it's not the one I used to make...don't remember some of these ingred. hmmmm, I'll have to look for it, I remember loving it!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Copper Pennies

2 pounds carrots -- sliced crosswise
1 small onion -- chopped
3 celery stalks -- chopped
1 sweet pepper -- chopped
1 can condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Cook carrots in salted water until tender. Drain.

Add onion, pepper, and celery to drained carrots. Mix remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over carrots.

Refrigerate overnight.

---
Heck, the more I look at it, this could be the one....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Easter dinner? by mlucas1 (So, it has been deci...)
Oh my Meg! Everything sounds really great! I love Easter dinner better than Thanksgiving. Seems like there is more flexibility and spring foods are just fresher and lighter.

The Triple Coconut Cake sounds really great. I saw the photos. I am an Almond Joy nut, macaroon freak! I loooooove coconut. Not a very good baker though, but I will have to keep trying.

Best of luck with your Easter meal! You should take a couple of photos for us all to see.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by luvnit (Oh my Meg! Everythin...)
I do a similar one to Jean's, but with tomato juice. It's always a hit. I really like roasted carrots, but it hardly screams of spring and Easter. Nice menu!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by luvnit (Oh my Meg! Everythin...)
Roast turkey for Easter? That must be from the Reverse Slandered Version of the Bible: "Worthy is the Turkey that was slain."

LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by labradors (Roast turkey for Eas...)
Oh Jean, I haven't made those carrots in a long time! Thanks for reminding me!

Your dinner sounds nice. There will only be two extra for Easter this year, so there's not much planning. I'm thinking about a ham, potato salad, something green, and now the copper pennies. I'll have to check with "the gang" to see what everyone wants. If Mom and brother don't come, we may do a picnic type thing...hoping the weather is nice.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by labradors (Roast turkey for Eas...)
Labs,
My family aren't big lamb or pork eaters so we always make turkey. It's only been recently that I have been able to get them to try pork loin and luckily they really like it!
Meg
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by cjs (Have you ever made t...)
Jean,

I saw Paula Deen make this dish once on her show and I wanted to try it. Thanks!!
Meg
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by mlucas1 (Jean,[br][br]I saw P...)
Easter....geez, just looked at the calendar - a week from Sunday, already????? Crap, I don't even have my St. Pattie's day menu going....plus I have a mystery dinner to decide on Sat. or Sun nite. The faster I go the behinder I get!!

What is Easter doing in March?????? Isn't that un-American? I like it in April.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Easter dinner? by cjs (Easter....geez, just...)
Quote:

What is Easter doing in March?????? Isn't that un-American? I like it in April.

AMEN!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.