recipe for pistachio ice cream
  Re: (...)
Has anyone got a recipe for pistachio ice cream? I'm planning on making a 3-color, 3-flavor ice cream bombe, but it seems no one makes green pistachio ice cream any more. I figured if I make my own, I can always add green food coloring. (incidentally, the other flavors I'll be using are rasberry sherbert and vanilla, all encrusted with toasted, chopped pistachios.)
  Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by Chops52 (Has anyone got a rec...)
Sure wish I could help you, Chops, but I don't find one in my 'library' -

You know, if you have time to play a little, here's all I can think of.

I have a recipe for a pink peppercorn ice cream that maybe you could try subbing pistachios for the peppercorns??

Combine 2 c. whole milk, 2 . heavy cream, 1 c. sugar and 1/4 c. crushed pink peppercorns; bring to a boil. Let steep one hour, strain and return to a simmer. (You may not want to strain)

In a separate bowl, whisk together 7 egg yolks; temper with 1 cup of the pepper-milk mixture, add back to the milk, and heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. cover with film directly on surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. chill.

and finish ice cream.

Hope this will get you going in the right direction - let us know how you do. (I would love pistachio ice cream and I have some - pistachios - in the freezer right now. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by cjs (Sure wish I could he...)
hi, chs,

thanx for the post. My thoughts were similar to yours in that I may have to adapt a recipe. I have one for butter almond that I may use but I have another week or so before I make the dessert, and actually my recipe for butter almond is not as involved as your pink peppercorn ice cream. Just out of curiosity, does pink peppercorn ice cream taste like dessert?
  Re: Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by Chops52 (hi, chs,[br][br]than...)
I don't know if this will help, but I got curious and did a search in MasterCook for pistachio and found a recipe for an
Pistachio-Apricot Bombe. When it mentioned pistachio ice cream I looked and found it had an embedded recipe for the following: (Note the variations at the end of the recipe. The pistachio is the second one down.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

French Ice Cream Base

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Frozen Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
20 fluid ounces Whole milk
14 fluid ounces Heavy cream
6 Egg yolks
7 ounces Granulated sugar
1 ounce Glucose or corn syrup
2 teaspoons Ice cream stabilizer (optional)

Bring the milk and cream to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan.

Whip the yolks, sugar, glucose or corn syrup and ice cream stabilizer, if using, in the bowl of a mixer with the whip attachment until pale and slightly thickened, approximately 3 minutes. Stir one third of the boiled milk into the yolk mixture.

Return the yolk mixture to the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until it reaches 180° to 186°F (82° to 85°C). Remove from the heat and strain into a clean bowl.

Quickly chill the ice cream base over an ice bath until it reaches 40°F (4°C). Refrigerate and mature the ice cream base overnight.

Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's directions.

Source:
"Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts"
Copyright:
"© 2005 by Prentice-Hall, Inc."
Yield:
"1 1/2 quarts"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3015 Calories; 205g Fat (60.1% calories from fat); 45g Protein; 262g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1930mg Cholesterol; 535mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 39 Fat; 14 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Variations:

Banana-Nut Ice Cream -- Add 8 ounces (240 grams) ripe, puréed bananas and 5 ounces (150 grams) crushed nougatine when the ice cream is frozen but still soft enough to stir.

Pistachio Ice Cream -- Add 8 ounces (240 grams) chopped pistachio nuts and 1 ounce (30 grams) natural pistachio compound to the custard before churning.

Anise Ice Cream -- Add 1/2 ounce (15 grams) chopped anise seeds and 2 star anise seeds to the milk and cream. Prepare the custard then strain out the seeds before cooling and churning. One fluid ounce (30 milliliters) anise liqueur may be added before churning.

Hazelnut Ice Cream -- Add 6 ounces (180 grams) hazelnut paste to the chilled mixture before churning.

Chestnut Ice Cream -- Add 1 pound (450 grams) sweetened chestnut purée to the chilled mixture before churning.

Coffee Ice Cream -- Add 1 fluid ounce (30 milliliters) coffee extract to chilled mixture before churning.

Spiced Chocolate Ice Cream -- Increase the milk to 28 fluid ounces (840 milliliters). Place 8 ounces (240 grams) chopped bittersweet or milk chocolate into a bowl. Pour the hot cooked custard base over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted. Add a pinch of ground white pepper and 0.5 fluid ounces (one teaspoon/5 milliliters) coffee extract.

Coconut Ice Cream -- Add 8 ounces (240 grams) fresh grated or frozen unsweetened coconut to the milk. Strain the custard before churning or place it in a blender and blend until coconut shavings are small, and leave them in the ice cream. If desired add 2 fluid ounces (60 milliliters) dark Jamaican rum.

Earl Grey Ice Cream -- Steep 10 Earl Gray tea bags in the milk and cream for six minutes. Remove the tea bags then finish the custard.

Vanilla Ice Cream -- Steep 2 split vanilla beans in the milk and cream.

Ginger Ice Cream -- Add 3 ounces (90 grams) of chopped fresh ginger to the milk and cream.

Indian Cardamom and Pistachio Ice Cream -- Steep 10 crushed cardamom pods in the milk and cream for 10 minutes. Strain the custard. Stir in 2 ounces (60 grams) finely ground pistachios and 0.04 ounces (0.5 teaspoon/1 gram) ground cardamom before churning.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 428 0

Please note, I have not made this recipe, but figured since you were going to have to modify to make it, this may give you a reference. Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by Chops52 (hi, chs,[br][br]than...)
yes! Have you ever had Sliced strawberries with Balsamic vinegar and freshly grated black pepper??? It's wonderful! on the same order - kind of a savory or spicey dessert...like adding cayenne to a chocolate mousse. YUM!

Hey Daphne, I saw that basic recipe in my MasterCook also, but I didn't delve into the submerged recipes - great ideas there!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by cjs (yes! Have you ever h...)
I love ice cream and gelato...have been asking for an ice cream maker for the last two years but no takers on getting me one yet...

Anyone familiar with the KA ice cream maker attachment for the big stand mixer?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by firechef (I love ice cream and...)
I've got a question, though....what is pistachio compound?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a question,...)
Pistachio compound paste is the same as almond paste that you can find in most supermarkets, but for pistachio I'd guess you need to find at a cake baking supply shop.

LJ, I have the KA ice cream attachment - don't use it much, as I also have an ice cream machine that I grab for small (personal) amounts of ice cream. I just use it for catering when I have large amounts to make. Works fine.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: recipe for pistachio ice cream by Chops52 (Has anyone got a rec...)
I found this - Spumoni was Jennifer's Dad's (Floyd) favorite ice cream. It's getting harder and harder to find so I think I'll have to make some for a special dinner soon.

PISTACHIO SPUMONI ICE CREAM
1 1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks -- beaten
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup pistachios -- shelled & chopped
1/3 cup candied maraschino cherries
1/3 cup orange peel -- finely chopped
3 tablespoons light rum

Heat but do not boil half and half in saucepan; stir in sugar and salt.
Pour small amount of half and half into egg yolks, stir constantly. Return yolk mixture to half and half mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened and creamy; cool. Stir in heavy
cream. Chill thoroughly. Pour into ice cream freezer container; follow manufacturer's directions for freezing. Add pistachios, cherries, orange peel and rum when almost frozen; finish freezing. Freeze at least 2 hours
before serving.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!