St Patrick's Day
  Re: (...)
So, what's everyone making???? We're driving to Baltimore Sunday night so we can cook Corned Beef and Cabbage for his family. I've never eaten it, so this should be fun. His brother bought 3, but doesn't think that will be enough, so we may cook something else as well.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: St Patrick's Day by Lorraine (So, what's everyone ...)
Normally I go the whole route - corned beef, cabbage, colcannon, soda bread.....but the way things are going, looks like we may have to skip St. Pattie's day this year. Not enough hours in the days right now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St Patrick's Day by cjs (Normally I go the wh...)
Wish I could get corned beef here. Not much good beef, in general, although some of it is okay for some purposes (e.g. bulgogi).

May have to get at least some cabbage and potatoes.

Certainly don't want a "St. Patty's Melt." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: St Patrick's Day by labradors (Wish I could get cor...)
Green Beer! That's all you need on St. Patrick's day. With enough Green Beer Lab any meat will do

With enough Green Beer Jean - Who needs more hours!

Lorraine..sorry hon..you're driving..no Green Beer for you!
  Re: Re: St Patrick's Day by DFen911 (Green Beer! That's a...)
That's right, to think of how many green beers I was treated to when I worked in S.F. years ago and I was this cute little redhead - man, it's a wonder I made it back to Sonoma County...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm going to make the Whiskey Glazed corned beef from issue #62 (I think some of the posters here made this last year and reviewed it...) I'll probably make the sweet and sour cabbage but not too sure about the whipped potato and parsnips. I'm not a huge fan of parsnips and I can't imagine how they would taste with whipped potatoes!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: St Patrick's Day by mlucas1 (I'm going to make th...)
Meg, I love parsnips and potatoes together! Has anyone posted the sweet and sour cabbage recipe? It sounds great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
We had our St. Patty's Day dinner last night since hubby will be gone next week. I don't usually follow a recipe for corned beef. Our corned beef last night turned out the best I've ever made. It was fall-apart-in-your-mouth moist as can be!! Can't wait to have leftovers today. All I did was throw it in the crockpot with its juices, cover it with water & the spice packet, and threw in a bottle of Guinness. It simmered all day.

I made Cooking Light's Beer Baked Scalloped Potatoes- perfect. And I also made some stir-fried cabbage. No dessert- though I did made a Chocolate Guinness Cake the other day!!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: St Patrick's Day by SDRecipeGirl (We had our St. Patty...)
I made ours last night too. Steve left this morning for an 18 day trip. I used my usual recipe that I posted in the glazed corned beef post a week or so ago: Glazed Corned Beef .

It was so good. The kids loved it. Found out Stephanie does like brussel sprouts, but the boys don't. Steph and Nicky both had second helpings of meat, which is almost unheard of. I cooked mine in the crock pot too, and then glazed it in the oven. Could not have been easier.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: St Patrick's Day by SDRecipeGirl (We had our St. Patty...)
Some beets and some turnip (I'm probably the only one left in the world who likes turnip) and you've got the makings of a great red flannel hash (another of my comfort foods).

I'm going with the whiskey glazed one again this year, it was so good last year. And, I made a pizza with the leftovers, a rye crust, some sauerkraut, swiss and a drizzle of 1000 Islands, it was great, just will add more cheese this year.

PJ
PJ