Save Postum!
  Re: (...)
I just discovered that Kraft discontinued Postum back in January. Accckkkkkk!

For those of you who don't know: Postum is a caffeine-free, instant drink mix that tastes somewhat like coffee. It is by no means a substitute for the flavour of real coffee, but it is probably the closest thing to coffee that one can get, that doesn't have caffeine. Yes, there ARE many decaffeinated coffees, but decaf is not no-caf, and simply doesn't help for many people.

For example, without realising how much caffeine it contained, I once had four big mugs of Gevalia's decaf (it was just SO delicious that I had to have more). Well, my acid reflux kicked in, irritating my oesophageal ulcer, and also sending my blood pressure sky high - enough that I went to the emergency room thinking there was something happening with my heart. That was before I knew I had the reflux and the ulcer, so it was pretty scary. The doctors just gave me a carafate (something pretty strong for treating ulcers and similar problems), waited for my BP to drop (since I was no longer under the anxiety brought on by the ulcer pain, which was located near the same area as the heart), and sent me on my way. Ultimately, Nexium cured my ulcers and I am using Prilosec for maintenance, but I now know that I must be VERY careful with caffeine, even if something is "decaf."

Postum, on the other hand, does not bother be at all, since it doesn't have ANY caffeine. Unlike decaf coffee, which has had most (but not all) of the caffeine removed, Postum's ingredients don't contain caffeine, in the first place, so nothing needs to be removed.

In addition, it's amazing the flavour Postum has, with its wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin (which comes from corn).

Well, all of that - at least so far - is no more, now that Kraft has decided to stop making Postum. In fact, my mother is jealous of me because I still happen to be able to get Postum here, in Honduras, but only because it doesn't move very quickly, here, so there's still some back stock.

With all of that said, if any of the rest of you happen to enjoy Postum, I urge you to post a message on the Kraft message board, asking that they start making Postum again.

Here is what I had to say, there:
Quote:

Instead of just an impassioned plea for the return of a Postum, I would like to offer Kraft some information that could help them to see why Postum is so important to so many people.

1. Postum contains no caffeine, so there are many people who
drink it because they cannot drink coffee. Those people
include:

A. People with acid-reflux disease or GERD, since caffeine is
a common trigger.

B. People with Irritable-Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - same reason.

C. People with high blood pressure, since caffeine can cause
problems for them.

D. People who don't want the caffeine in coffee to keep them
awake at night.

E. Mormons, and members of other religious groups that
refrain from caffeine consumption.

There are probably more, but that is sufficient for illustration.

2. Decaffeinated coffee is not completely caffeine free, and may
still pose problems for any of the above groups. I, for one,
suffer from GERD, and have had problems with decaf coffee,
but Postum does not bother me.

3. Postum tastes great and, although not exactly like coffee,
its taste is robust enough to satisfy those who like coffee,
where herbal teas, or the like, would fail to do so.

4. Although I haven't priced coffee in the U.S. for a long time,
Postum is concentrated enough that it is probably a better
value than coffee, since so little of it is needed to make a cup.

Again, there are probably many more reasons, but that should help to pull the major ones together, and to answer a few questions that other forum members may have asked.

My request to Kraft would be that they continue making Postum, but target the above groups in their advertising, not just "baby boomers," as they have tried previously. The market for Postum could be saved, not by appealing to large, general groups who may only wish to try Postum for the taste, but to specific groups for whom Postum would be the only alternative that would be like coffee, but completely caffeine free.

Thank you.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Save Postum! by labradors (I just discovered th...)
Hey Lab I found this about those who cannot find Postum anymore. Not sure if it's the same thing or would suffice but hate to see you do without.

http://www.internaturalfoods.com/Pero/Pe...iQod008dcQ
  Re: Re: Save Postum! by DFen911 (Hey Lab I found this...)
Quote:

http://www.internaturalfoods.com/Pero/Pe...iQod008dcQ

Thanks. Never heard of that one before. Not sure how it easy/difficult it would be to have someone order it here. I'll have to talk to the managers of the stores.

Even so, that IS a different blend, so you're right: it's hard to say how it would taste, versus Postum. We'll see where this all leads.
  Re: Re: Save Postum! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I've heard of Postum all my life, but don't think I've ever tasted it. Maybe a people's movement will do some good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Save Postum! by cjs (I've heard of Postum...)
Isn't Postum like Ovaltine? Or not? I've always heard of it but never had it either.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
My Mom drank Postum growing up, and I drank it throughout my pregnancies, since drinking any coffee was discouraged back in the 80's. That's too bad, it never hurts to drop them a line and let them know how you feel. I actually liked it, it does have a unique flavor.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Save Postum! by Gourmet_Mom (Isn't Postum like Ov...)
Quote:

Isn't Postum like Ovaltine? Or not? I've always heard of it but never had it either.

Ovaltine is chocolate-based - kind of like another type of Nestle's Quik, but different.

Postum is made from wheat germ, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin, and tastes somewhat like coffee.
  Re: Re: Save Postum! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I was referring to the malt variety. While it is not like coffee nor served cold, it does have a lot of the same ingredients. I looked them up and realized the difference. I still can't figure out where I know of the product, as my family has always drank coffee or not, never in-between.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Save Postum! by Gourmet_Mom (I was referring to t...)
I dropped them a line Labs...that caffeine is also bad for HIGH BLOOD SUGAR DIABETICS as well. Since my Mother's husband quit regular and decaf coffees his blood sugar does not go as high in the morning and he only drank "black" coffee with no cream or sugar. Read an article saying caffeine and diabetes don't mix and he cut it out of the diet and it worked.

Hope they come up with an alternative and I'll pass on the other site to my mom as well.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Hi Labs,
Some folks find that it is the tannic acid in coffee instead of the caffeine that triggers gerd attacks. Maybe it is both. I have a cast iron stomach and love strong regular coffee, but if you like Postum I will contact Kraft too. Your reasons for them keeping it on the market make a lot of sense. Thanks

psssssssss... I love that little dog!