Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fillin
  Re: (...)
Someone wanted this for a dinner party tonight - thanks for the heads up, Daphne.
Hope it's not too late.

Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Filling
(Cuisine at home, December 2002, Issue 36, p. 21)

Makes: 4 Servings Total Time: 1 Hour Rating: Intermediate

For the Filling—
Heat:
2 T. vegetable oil
2 T. shallot, minced
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes

Toss in Oil:
1 cup baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
Pinch of salt and sugar

For the Salmon—
Combine:
4 T. unsalted butter, melted
4 T. olive oil

Prepare:
6 phyllo sheets
1 T. sesame seeds, toasted

Assemble on Phyllo:
4 fillets (4 oz. each) salmon, skin removed, seasoned with salt and pepper
Prepared spinach

Related Recipes:

Herbed Coconut Sauce

Heat oil for the filling in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes. Cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Toss hot oil with spinach; season with salt and sugar. Set mixture aside until ready to assemble rolls.

Combine butter and oil for phyllo.

Prepare butter-oil mixture and brush some on 3 of the 6 phyllo sheets. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the first two buttered sheets.

To assemble, place one fish fillet about 1" from the bottom of a short side of the phyllo. Arrange half the spinach across the fillet. Top with a second fillet so the thick portion rests on top of the thin portion of the fillet below. To roll, lift the bottom edge of the phyllo and roll the fillets one half turn (the top fillet is now on the bottom). Brush the exposed phyllo with butter, then fold the long sides in, all the way to the end of the sheet (as if folding a burrito). Brush these folds with butter, then roll to the end, brushing any uncoated phyllo with a little butter. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Prepare remaining three sheets of phyllo and assemble second roll as the first. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake wrapped fish 20 minutes; remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. To serve, slice off about 1/2" from the ends of each roll using an electric knife or serrated slicing knife. Cut rolls in half, then cut each piece in half diagonally. To serve, stand two of the pieces upright on each serving plate. (Shown here with Herbed Coconut Sauce.)

Nutrition Information (Per 4 oz.):
525 calories 67% calories from fat 39g total fat 18g carb. 383mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

ooops, here's the coconut sauce also-
Herbed Coconut Sauce
(Cuisine at home, December 2002, Issue 36, p. 21)

Makes: 1 Cup Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Simmer, Reduce, and Strain:
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 T. shallot, minced
1/2 t. sugar
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes

Combine; Whisk into Sauce:
1 t. fresh lime juice
1/2 t. cornstarch
Salt to taste

Garnish Plates with:
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 Thai chile, sliced into rings, or 1 T. jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded and minced

Related Recipes:

Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Filling

Simmer coconut milk, water, garlic, ginger, shallot, sugar, and pepper flakes in a small saucepan over med.-high heat. Reduce to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer and return liquid to a clean saucepan.

Combine lime juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Bring sauce to a boil again and whisk in cornstarch mixture. Simmer about 1 minute, then season with salt to taste.

Garnish plates with cilantro, basil and chiles before serving. (Shown here with Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Filling.)

Nutrition Information (Per 1/4 cup):
121 calories 84% calories from fat 12g total fat 4g carb. 155mg sodium
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fillin by cjs (Someone wanted this ...)
Thanks Jean, I appreciate you helping out.

New member astrusz, Anne, I hope you got this in time. Like I said, this is a very helpful bunch. I hope you come back and join us soon and often!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fillin by cjs (Someone wanted this ...)
Oh my gosh Jean, this sounds really great. I can't wait to try this.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fillin by luvnit (Oh my gosh Jean, thi...)
You're right, Laura - I searched and posted it so quickly because of the time, I didn't really look it over...yes, does sound good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fillin by cjs (You're right, Laura ...)
Wonder if I can find a fish to use in place of salmon as Holly HATES salmon for some unknown reason. I found out as a kid she refused to eat any meat or fish and once tried to be a vegetarian but liked hot dogs and McDonald's cheeseburgers too much to kick "meat" completely.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fi by firechef (Wonder if I can find...)
This is one of our FAVORITES for a dinner party----YUMMMM!!!
Guests that generally do not care for salmon LOVE this dish---

L---you would need to have another type of fish that is able to take the time and temps in the oven---can't think of one off hand that would give the same result---and we LOVE fish--ANY type of fish----maybe Holly would be a convert after this delight???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fi by Roxanne 21 (This is one of our F...)
I was actually wondering about something like a swordfish or even Tuna filleted instead done as steaks might work. I saw a "trout" (or so it said) that had the "heft" of a salmon fillet and the colour too which makes me wonder about the labeling of the product as well.

I wonder if a shell fish like scallops or even lobster would work?

Does anyone know this Roxanne character? Sounds familiar...think I've seen her around here before? Just kidding...how have you been? Nice "seeing" you again!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fi by firechef (I was actually wonde...)
Roxanne, how are you! LTNS!

Since you've made this, I was wondering...not having the pictures...about the way it's put together. Am I to understand that the ginger/spinach mixture is "sandwiched" between two filets? (Although, my filets are usually HUGE, so I'm thinking I'd split the "slab" down the middle?) I am also assuming the "cut 1/2 inch from the ends" is to cut off the "doughy" ends and easier presentation? AND that one "roll" serves two people?

I think that's all the questions...LOL! I'm glad you came in because I'm ALWAYS looking for salmon recipes...poor LJ...and that was really bothering me! It also looks like new member astrusz, Anne, hasn't come back. Maybe she found her magazine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fi by Gourmet_Mom (Roxanne, how are you...)
I'm not Roxanne, but reading the method you lay one 4 oz. filet on the bottom edge of the three sheets of the phyllo, top with 1/2 the spinach mixture, lay a 2nd filet over the spinach mixture with the thin end of filet over the thick end, so your two layers of salmon are the same thickness at each end.

Cutting the 1/2" off the ends will make the presention (standing them upright) - & since each half will be 4 oz. I'd say it's two servings.

I'll go see if I can get the picture - I don't have that magazine tho.

Here you go -

[Image: Salmon-1.jpg]

Looks like one serving, but that's way too much for one, imo.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Gingered Spinach Fi by cjs (I'm not Roxanne, but...)
Looks good enough to eat... if it weren't for the salmon... and the spinach. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?