Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean
  Re: (...)
The day after was nice when we got to the winery and actually had some food in front of us. Poor Bob was so sick and tired that he could hardly eat his spaghetti & 2 huge meatballs. He and Dawn shared a very nice Vino Del Casa Red. Kathy and her Bob & I shared a fantastic Pinot Grigio GRV Signature Series. It went really well with my pasta!

[Image: IMG_5971-1.jpg]

After lunch we decided to do a little souvenir shopping and wine tasting at Ferrante. They have a different way of doing their tastings. For $9.00 you get a tray of tiny little cups set on a paper liner in a specific order with labels and descriptions of each wine on the paper under each wine. You can get a “dry” tray or a “sweet” tray. Dawn got 2 of each – since there were 5 of us!

We started out with the dry tray. Their chardonnay’s didn’t impress us at all – in fact the gag factor was there for me. Obviously their Pinot Grigio (Tropical aromas and flavors of pineapple, coconut and citrus, balanced by crisp acidity) really tickled me!!! It matched their description perfectly.

The next wine was their Golden Bunches Dry Riesling. I gave this one 3 stars!! It was everything a good dry Riesling should be. I’d really like this with some nice grilled chicken or ???? A bit spicy would be nice. The Vino Della Casa White was the next wine on the tray. It was a wonderful blend – light, refreshing, and very soft. It would be great to just sit and sip in the summer – with some light appetizers.

Rather than trying to remember which wines were on which tray I’ll just give my feelings about the ones we tasted from white to red.

The German influence really stands out in their wines. The “Gewurtz” was a treat – lots of citrus and floral – just off dry. This would be incredible with Thai food! The same thing can be said for their American Riesling and their Signature Series Riesling. Wonderful wines for spicy food – actually I can think of a number of things they would be great with. They also offered a Vidal Blanc – lots and lots of apricots and citrus, sweeter than I normally like, but nice.

We then tried their Bianco – some thought it was okay, Bob and I gagged – he at least swallowed his. The next was the White Catawba. It was described as “Sweet, grapey aromas, spicy arietal flavors, full bodied”. “Bodied” could be the operative word!!! The aroma was not like anything I’d ever tried before. I sniffed, I dumped.

Blushes seem to be popular with wineries there. We tried their Cabernet Franc Blush (fair to good), Rosato (o.k. – not bad), Jester’s Blush (urp), and their Pink Catawba (“Sweet, spicy wine from Ohio’s first grown and most popular grape.”). If the white Catawba was bad – this was way way worse.

As far as the reds went – their Merlot was quite good. I think it would have been better if we’d had food with it – BBQ would be wonderful with it. We all liked the Vino Della Casa Red – and their Rosso was fair. The Cab Franc made everyone feel like there was no moisture left in their bodies. Talk about too dry!!!

The biggest surprise was the Celebration Spice. We didn’t think that we’d like it – but everyone loved it. Kathy is sending me some!

We didn’t try their ice wines. They weren’t offered in the tasting – and I really didn’t think I could take anymore sweet. Prices were reasonable – ranging from 7.99 to 16.99. The ice wines started at 28.99. This was the only winery we stopped at – I hope next trip to maybe try a couple of others.

By the end of the tasting we were laughing so hard we had tears running down our faces. Dawn started talking about me using something (I don’t remember what) as a meat “tendonizer”. That started us into hysterics. I think a couple of really bad tastes came next – and then Dawn made a comment about how good the Celebration Spice would be in a fruit “compost”. That had the tears squirting!!! It was a lot of fun – and a great chance for us all to just sit and relax!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by Harborwitch (The day after was ni...)
Wow, what a difference in tastings - I wonder if that is a mid-west 'thing' or the winery. Interesting. I'm printing out your post and putting it in an Ohio folder for the travels!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by cjs (Wow, what a differen...)
Maybe Maryann or someone can enlighten us. The only thing I can think of is that we are truly spoiled by incredible wines out here. If I moved to Ohio I'm thinking I'd be eating a lot of Thai food!
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by Harborwitch (Maybe Maryann or som...)
You do remember we lived 2 1/2 long, long, long, long years in Kewanee, Illinois, don't you??? The care pkgs. folks had to bring with them when they visited were unreal!!!

But, the friends we made back there are still friends today!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by cjs (You do remember we l...)
That's right!!! The people back there are so friendly! I really wanted to move!!
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by Harborwitch (That's right!!! [img...)
Very nice Sharon! I have yet to go to a tasting at any of the local wineries here...probably this summer, but I'm not really excited about it. The first winery, that I know of, has a lot of wines in stores and is very popular, but just not for me...too sweet or raw tasting. But then I'm not a real wine person. I'm planning on changing that soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by Gourmet_Mom (Very nice Sharon! I...)
Okay, so there's Ferrante, but where's Teicher?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by Harborwitch (That's right!!! [img...)
Sharon, you really wrote a great review! As for the way they do their tastings at Ferrante's, I remember my brother being fairly annoyed when we went there. We had a nice enough lunch, but he thought the "tasting tray" was tacky. But then, he had been to California wine country several times and got spoiled with the way they do things.

I remember him telling me a story about one of the California wineries they went to some years back. The vineyard manager picked up two bottles of wine and took my brother and SIL out into the vineyards to inspect the grapes, chat a bit, and drink some wine. He ended up buying several cases and shipping them home.

The same day that my brother and I went to Ferrante's, we stopped at another place that was the extreme opposite, in fact, I remember telling him maybe we should pass on this one. It had a real "Green Acres" look to it if you know what I mean, and kind of gave me the creeps. But, my brother wanted to go in anyway. As it turned out, the owners were incredibly nice, offered us a sampling of their wines in regular wine glasses (at no charge) and we took four bottles home. Wouldn't you know, I can't remember the name of that place!

Anyway, I'm glad you had a nice time at Ferrante's and found something you liked there.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ohio wine tasting notes - esp. for Jean by Mare749 (Sharon, you really w...)
Your brother must have visited in the days before all the foo foo (how do you spell that??? ) crap entered wine tasting and the wine makers were on site just visiting and taking special care of those visitors who were really interested in the whole process.

Washington and Oregon are to the point they are now too commercial for that. Where we used to live, Placer County and mostly El Dorado County, are still 'young' enough that it is really fun to visit.
www.achefsjourney.com