Gnocchi
  Re: (...)
Well for dinner tonight I did gnocchi. I must say I love gnocchi but it's a lot of work. Boil, peel and rice the potatoes. Add flour, work it in, work in more. Let it rest a tad, roll it out, cut it, put on the board, boil it, make the sauce...but it's OH so worth it!!!

[Image: Rollingoutthedough.jpg]

[Image: Cuttingthepillows.jpg]

[Image: UsingthePaddle.jpg]

[Image: LittlePillowsareready.jpg]

Now I decided to make a brown butter sage sauce. This is just as it's started, but it only takes a few moments to brown the butter.

[Image: MakingtheButterSageSauce.jpg]

[Image: LetsEat.jpg]

I also made a loaf of the Irish soda bread. This bread was great! And I made another loaf of the 18 hour bread. Weather is suppose to be icky tomorrow so it'll be more bread and probably some cinnamon rolls
  Re: Gnocchi by DFen911 (Well for dinner toni...)
Oh gawd those look so good! I screwed up a batch the other night - I knew I did it, and was so tired I just didn't care a bunch. Except that they really gummed up my cavatelli maker. (By the way - just for giggles - Martha Stewart doesn't own a cavatelli maker! She had a chef on that used one the other day. Giggle)
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Gnocchi by Harborwitch (Oh gawd those look s...)
OH MY! Those look soooo good! I have never had gnocchi before.....maybe someday. I have never even seen it on a menu around here. Hopefully, someday, I'll get to travel a bit more and have a wider range of food experiences. I live vicariously through you guys and even try some of this stuff, too! Maybe I should put gnocchi on my summer "to do" list. The sad thing is, I would have NO idea if I was doing it right, as I have no reference for comparison. Oh well!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh Denise, those look sooooooo good! I really want to try to make those. I will have to get one of those cavatelli(?) makers too. I can't believe Martha doesn't have one. She seems like she would have 5 of them all with some interesting story attached to it. Like, "Oh, I handcrafted this one out of red clay. I glazed and fired it in the prison kiln. Then I made gnocchi for all of the inmates."
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Oh gosh now I found a really cool one. Look!

Would this be cheating?

[Image: vw530b.jpg]
Laura
  Re: Re: Gnocchi by luvnit (Oh gosh now I found ...)
Hmmm... Have never seen that kind of machine. For that matter, that ridged board in the earlier picture is interesting, too. Any time I've ever seen someone make gnocchi, they just used a fork.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gnocchi by luvnit (Oh gosh now I found ...)
Oh my, I've never seen a gnocchi machine before...

Denise, great pictures and making me darn hungry!!

Yes, Daphne, you need to add gnocchi making to your summer list for sure. I think you'd love the experience and your family would probably go crazy for them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gnocchi by cjs (Oh my, I've never se...)
The machine is only $29! Not a bad price I think and kinda cool. It'd be nice to share one with someone for as many times as you'd probably use it.
Laura
  Re: Re: Gnocchi by luvnit (The machine is only ...)
No machines that takes away from the fun of making gnocchi

Lab, I have never used a fork before. I have a gnocchi paddle for years. Lol weird to think of using a fork, probably as odd as it is for you to see the paddle. Amazing how we get used to things.

It's really good to make with butternut squash too. I've been experimenting with a dessert gnocchi using tapioca rice and powered sugar. Still playing with that recipe
  Re: Re: Gnocchi by luvnit (The machine is only ...)
That's the one I have! Love it! We made sweet potato cavatelli with it one night - very good.

Daphne I've found gnocchi in the frozen food section and if you have a cost plus or trader joe's you should be able to find them vac. sealed in the pasta section.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!