18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch
  Re: (...)
I am going to try another batch, but my last batch didn't even rise! I added 1/4 cup of sourdough to the batter. It did rise in the bowl overnight. Then I turned it out to sit and then rise again and it never did. It just sat there and did nothing.

Anyone else try the sourdough method and have this problem? Any advice out there?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by luvnit (I am going to try an...)
I can't help any - I've never done the sourdough addition. Hope someone gets here to help.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by cjs (I can't help any - I...)
I know Sharon has done it. Sharon where are you?
Laura
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by luvnit (I know Sharon has do...)
I'm still too new to this to offer advice and haven't done it with the starter yet.

Is it drafty where the second rise is taking place? I know when we did the sour dough at school with the starter we put it in a proofer. At home I turn my oven on to 200 and the minute it's preheated I turn it off. Make my dough, cover it with plastic wrap and put in the oven to rise.
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by luvnit (I know Sharon has do...)
Here I am. Did you feed your sourdough the night before??? I've never had that problem unless my sourdough needed feeding. Reminds me - time to get mine out of the fridge and feed it up for some bread making!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by Harborwitch (Here I am. Did you ...)
You know what Sharon. I did feed it the night before, BUT... It had been a while since I fed it. It was a little sluggish. I think I should have done this:

1. Fed it and let it sit
2. Throw out 1/2
3. Feed it again and wait 4 hours

Then use it in the recipe. I think that would have done it. Perhaps it was just a little tired.

What do you do when your starter gets tired?
Laura
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by luvnit (You know what Sharon...)
I won't say it...I won't!

OK...now what dooo you do when your sour dough is "tired"...heheheheh?!?!

(Now Mel Brooks has jumped in my head..."What you do, do you do, so well?" At least that's my memory of the line...very funny!)

Okay...sorry...

On with the bread making....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by luvnit (You know what Sharon...)
I just fed mine and have it sitting on the counter - tomorrow I'll check it, and do exactly that. We've been eating the last sourdough biscuits I made and froze - boy were they good! I can't wait for some good bread!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by Harborwitch (I just fed mine and ...)
go find your room, Daphne...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 18 hour bread - Help! Losing my touch by cjs (go find your room, D...)
Thank you Sharon. I knew in my heart (afterward) I screwed up.

Daphne ~ That Mel sure is a funny guy!
Laura