Thank you Bill and Jean!
  Re: (...)
First, Bill, that Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian style is an AWESOME sauce! I can NOT imagine what it's going to be like this summer with fresh picked tomatoes and some really good Italian canned. (I used very ripe Roma's from the store and so-so canned and it was still VERY good!)

Next, Jean, the sausage turned out GREAT! I didn't have anise seed, so I subbed extra fennel...too much. I think it would have been better just leaving it out. I thought I made it mild, but it was still kinda spicy! I know to cut that back next time. I recorded what I did so I could make adjustments next time. The BEST tip came from the Fresh Garlic Sausage recipe. (I had intended to make this, but accidently printed out your Italian Sausage recipe, so I just went with it.) I want to try the Fresh Garlic next time, but the tip about partially freezing the pork was GREAT! It is sooo much easier! I didn't even know about the ice trick last time, so this was just soo wonderful! (Funny how the grinder directions left off that important detail!) I wondered why somebody on another forum mentioned only making sausage when it was below freezing outside and opening the windows. Now I get it! I just took out a little at a time and put the bowl back in the freezer...worked like a charm!!!!! No jamming! It almost fed itself!

Am I gushing? YEP! This was a wonderful meal. I even learned that the semolina pasta did better after freezing. It didn't want to crumble nearly as bad. Did I mention, my family gave this a BIG TWELVE! (AND I've got enough sausage for THREE more meals off a $9 Boston Butt...not even on sale! That's a dollar a pound for FRESH HOMEMADE Italian Sausage!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (First, Bill, that Fr...)
BTW, Jean, the beef is at about 140 degrees and the smell is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!! Luckily it will be so late by the time it gets ready for the fridge, I'll be too sleepy to care about a taste....well, maybe...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, Jean, the beef ...)
Oh man, you just made me drool over your post!!! Sausage is so much fun to play with and it will probably turn out differently each time you make it - mine sure does.

My beef will be going in fairly soon - so we can have a real easy dinner.

And you're so welome. I'm off to see if I have Bill's sauce recorded somewhere....

For those who have as bad a memory as I do -
I found it!!!

from a post of Bills:
"We used to buy a bushel of over ripe tomatoes and pick over them. Our source for the tomatoes is gone. Very cheap in peak season--

FRESH TOMATO SAUCE SICILIAN

1/4 C olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 med yellow onion , finely chopped
9 C cored and chopped very ripe chopped tomatoes
4 28 oz cans whole tomatoes, crushed with juice
1/4 C chopped parsley
1/2 C white wine
1 C chicken stock
1 t dried marjoram
1 t dried rosemary
6 T butter
salt and pepper to taste

Heat an 8-10 qt heavy bottom pot and add the oil, onion, and then the garlic-saute until onion is clear. Add remaining ingredients except butter, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and gently cook, uncovered , for 4 hrs., stirring often. Stir in the butter, salt & pepper. Eat or freeze."

Now I have it copied!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (First, Bill, that Fr...)
I'm proud to be mentioned is such rarified company--thank you!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by Old Bay (I'm proud to be ment...)
Hey Bill, when you've got a good one like this, YOU'RE the "rarified company"! It really is good! I am just so glad to be a part of a group that loves to SHARE their best tried and true recipes like this!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (Hey Bill, when you'v...)
me too!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by cjs (me too! [img]/ubbthr...)
Thank you, Bill, for the great sounding recipe (love those herbs and wine!) and Jean, for bringing it up again. Just what I'm looking for, I'm lucky enough to have access to too-ripe-for-market tomatoes here in town.

Copied and printed for summer!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by pjcooks (Thank you, Bill, for...)
Daphne, friend "anon" was looking at this- would it help you with your new regime?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by cjs (Daphne, friend "anon...)
Totally forgot about this! Copying the thread to refer to when I get ready to make the sausage! Thanks for the reminder, Jean!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Thank you Bill and Jean! by Gourmet_Mom (Totally forgot about...)
You are welcome and good luck. We're all here for you to help keep William (and you) healthy!!!
www.achefsjourney.com