Fish - Mahi Mahi
  Re: (...)
Ok, so this is a little weird being from the pacific northwest, but I don't do much fish. I like eating it if it is good and fresh, but I am very hesitant to cook it. But, we really need to get more fish into our diets and I don't think that should just be more fish and chips.

So, I am on a fish experimentation adventure. And yes, it is important to do this while my hubby is out of town. He is even more hesitant about fish than I am, so one flop and a not so enthusiastic comment from him, would turn me off cooking fish for good probably.

So, where does this lead us. I have some flash frozen Mahi Mahi in the freezer and decided to branch out tonight. I grilled it with just simple olive oil, salt and pepper. Served it over wilted spinach and a mango salsa. It was good and very mild. I think this fish could really take on some bolder flavors. But it was a success for a first attempt.

[Image: DSCN3558.jpg]
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by esgunn (Ok, so this is a li...)
Looks wonderful Erin...your Hubby is missing out by the looks of this one.

You email this one to him and you may have the entire Air Force looking for in flight meals...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by esgunn (Ok, so this is a li...)
GEORGOUS!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by luvnit (GEORGOUS!!!...)
Maybe a jerk dry rub before grilling and then the mango salsa?

By the way, nice grill marks!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by luvnit (GEORGOUS!!!...)
For something different, try some basa. It's essentially a Vietnamese catfish, but is quite good. Since it really is from Vietnam, it's probably only available frozen, and that is how I used to get it.

I first discovered it when a local grocery store, in Orlando, FL, had someone handing out samples of it that they had fried up. It was delicious, and I continued to buy it, periodically, after that - always frozen.

Generally speaking, I'm not the biggest fan of many fish or seafood products, but I do like mahi mahi. It's always funny to see the look on someone's face when they hear that it's dolphin, but they don't know the difference between the dolphin fish (or dorado) and the dolphin mammal (or the performers at Sea World). Mahi Mahi is NOT "Flipper." Here's a good photo from the web:
[Image: mahimahibullxq1.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by firechef (Maybe a jerk dry rub...)
Thanks! I really was pretty proud of myself - even if it was a very mild dish. Even the jalapeno in the salsa.

I think a good spicy rub is the ticket. Will try again for Steve when he gets home.

And - yes LJ. His crew always gets in-flight meals - Steve always requests a pie to take on his flights. He shares (or so he says) with his crew. Usually does not last longer than the flight over. His favorite is blackberry, but it wasn't a good year for blackberries this year. We used all our frozen for jam. So he has been getting Raspberry or apple lately!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by labradors (For something differ...)
Labs, Thanks. I will keep my eye out for it. Might try my local H Mart (Korean/asian market). But honestly I am a little afraid of getting things I can't read anything on the packaging.

I was surprised to read about the Mahi Mahi that it is a really fast growing fish and only lives 3 or 4 years. It really is very mild and not fishy at all. One fish I thought I might like but really don't is Tilapia. Yuck.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by esgunn (Thanks! I really wa...)
I was first introduced to dorado in a novel about a guy who's sail boat wrecked and he spent dang near forever in his lifeboat in the south Atlantic. Based on a true story, had pictures and maps, and he caught a few dorado and "cooked" them in salt and citrus juices from his survival kit.

Hey guys, no wise cracks about me reading books with pictures in them...I can hear you all now, so stop picking on me.

Pictures like the one Labs put up would keep Holly from eating fish of any kind ever again. She watched Good Eats with Alton Brown and will not eat meat for days if she sees them prepping at the meat counter level on his show. Iron Chef America will keep her from meat and fish for weeks too.
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by firechef (I was first introduc...)
Good for you, Erin - I love having fish 2 or 3 times a week. and we love Mahi Mahi. Here's an idea for you - please don't think it's too involved. the veggies can be readied and just pop in the oven later. and the Balsamic reduction can be done ahead of the fish and just kept warm.
So not everything has to be done at the same time - and it's so delicious.

HERB-CRUSTED MAHI MAHI, ROASTED FENNEL AND TOMATO with Balsamic Essence

Fennel:
2 large fennel bulbs -- tops trimmed; cut each bulb in half lengthwise, then cut into thin strips.
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 Bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme
2 red Thai chiles (or small serranos)
1 T. sugar
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. dry sherry
2 T. butter
2 tomatoes -- seeded and julienne
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Balsamic Essence - see recipe

Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Place fennel, olive oil, bay leaves, thyme, and chiles in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 F.

Add the sugar, vinegar, and butter, toss together until butter is melted.
Cover, return to oven and continue to roast for another 15 minutes longer, or until the fennel is caramelized and tender. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

-----

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mahi Mahi

2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 T. tarragon -- chopped
2 T. chives chopped
2 T. parsley -- chopped
1 T. thyme -- chopped
Salt & pepper
4 6 oz. mahi mahi fillets
1 T. unsalted butter
1 T. olive oil

In a food processor, add the bread and turn into a fine dust.
Add the herbs and pulse just to combine
Season the fish side of the fish and dip into the herb-crumb mixture.

In a non-stick sauté pan, heat the butter and olive oil.
When the oil is hot, sear each fillet on both sides, crumb side down first, for about 1 minute per side. Be careful not to overcook.

Remove filets to a warm platter and keep warm.

-----

BALSAMIC REDUCTION

1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T. butter
Freshly ground black pepper

Reduce Balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan until reduce to ½ cup. Turn off heat and slowly add bits of butter whisking each addition thoroughly. Add the freshly ground pepper and whisk all together. Set aside.
-----

Place the fish on a bed of veggies and drizzle with a little of the balsamic reduction.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fish - Mahi Mahi by cjs (Good for you, Erin -...)
Thanks Jean, I will give it a try!
Erin
The time is flying by.