Homemade Pasta Questions
  Re: (...)
I recently acquired a pasta roller/cutter from ebay. I haven't gotten it in the mail yet, but I am waiting. I have wanted one for a long time. I used to make pasta my hand, (rolling it with a rolling pin and cutting with a knife) but my kitchen is small with limited counter space.

I never really knew about the drying process. How long? Is it really necessary?

If someone has some experience with pasta making, I'd be grateful to hear your tips and suggestions.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by luvnit (I recently acquired ...)
Well, I'll start Laura, but I don't make pasta as often as others around here I'm thinkin'.

Roy made me a nice drying rack that I've been using for the last 6 months or so, but before that I used to just toss them with some flour until I was ready to cook it up.

I try to make just the amount I want to cook at one time, but if I have some extra I have a basket that I keep the leftover pasta in covered with a dish towel and I don't really keep it for any length of time.

I'm with you - I'll be interested to hear what/how others work with their pastas.

Here's the drying rack he made - works great.
[Image: pastarack.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by cjs (Well, I'll start Lau...)
I wonder if that would work for angel hair pasta. I bought the pasta maker attachment for my kitchen aid stand mixer and it's a pretty cool toy. I make angel hair for a chicken parmesan recipe I make for the wifey (her favorite) but it invariably seems that I end up with large clumps of cooked pasta instead of individual strands, so as of late I have been cheating and buying the "fresh" in the grocery store.

If I could figure this out better, I would enjoy making it!
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by jeffdubya (I wonder if that wou...)
Quote:

I wonder if that would work for angel hair pasta.

So, is THAT what that gizmo is for: combing angel hair?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm with Jean, I haven't tried drying it yet. I usually just make what I'm going to use and freeze any unused dough for next time. I'd love to see what others have to say also because I want to make some up to have on hand. I'm wondering if it's better to dry it or continue doing what I've been doing.

I haven't tried angel hair yet Jeff, but my linguine cooks up perfect every time. HMMMM? I may have to test that out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by Gourmet_Mom (I'm with Jean, I hav...)
When we had the old extruder model I used to make lots of pasta at a time - macaroni I'd just dry on a floured cookie sheet until it was hard and then store. Long pasta, like spaghetti I'd form into "nests" dust them well with flour and let set on a cookie sheet under a towel until dry - then I'd bag and store them. Moisture is problematic - they have to be really really dry or they'll mold! That was all before I got my drying rack.

Now I just make what we'll eat and cook it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by Harborwitch (When we had the old ...)
So don't invest in a drying rack and stick with what I'm doing?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by Gourmet_Mom (So don't invest in a...)
Drying rack is so much easier for long pasta. Extruded shapes like macaroni do better on a flat surface. Linguini etc does much better on a drying rack - no risk of mold!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by Harborwitch (Drying rack is so mu...)
"Extruded shapes like macaroni do better on a flat surface" - do 'better'????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Pasta Questions by cjs ("Extruded shapes lik...)
I had an extruder and didn't care for the pasta that it made. I don't remember the brand or anything. I received it as a gift and ended up returning it to the store. I am sure for macaroni and such you need an extruder, but I will just have to stick with noodles, manicotti and ravioli.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura