Food Question for all...
  Re: (...)
Anyone know what fromage de tete is?

I do... Any one like it? Anyone have any recipes for it?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Food Question for all... by firechef (Anyone know what fro...)
Quote:

Anyone know what fromage de tete is?

I do... Any one like it? Anyone have any recipes for it?

I don't do head cheese--I don't even like to look at it. I can eat tongue and mountain oysters--that is all the fifth quarter I have learned to eat.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Food Question for all... by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh...LJ, I wish I knew where Hooker's (William's grandmother) recipe was. It's around here somewhere in a drawer I bet. If I ever come across it, I'll send it to you. (I'll ask around and see if she gave the recipe out to anyone.)

One of my favorite stories from William's childhood centers around this stuff. He LOVES IT!

The story goes that Hooker made some head cheese for him and put it in the front part of the greenhouse to chill....it was winter obviously. Somehow the door was left ajar and Mazy, William's dalmation, nosed her way in and ate every last bit of it. I don't know who was more angry...William or his grandmother! Probably Hooker, 'cause I think it is a long involved process.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
There are only things I know about head cheese. First, it's a terrine of strange meats, not a cheese.

Second, in one episode of Night Court, Christine's father offers her a head cheese sandwich and, when she says she doesn't like it, he says, "It kept you regular all through high school." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Food Question for all... by labradors (There are only thing...)
LJ---my grandmother in NH used to make this every year with the "harvest" of sheep----yukk!!!! (but that was in my younger days and I was not amenable to those thangs!!!) And I am not amenable to that to this day!!! YUCKKK!!!!

She loved it though----Bless her for her palate!!! It did not rub off on her granddaughter ---- too many weird concoctions she would come up with-----loved that generation!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Food Question for all... by Roxanne 21 (LJ---my grandmother ...)
They wasted nothing. God bless 'em.
  Re: Re: Food Question for all... by Old Bay (They wasted nothing....)
Ain't that the truth-----I lived that and can positively support THAT statement!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Food Question for all... by firechef (Anyone know what fro...)
Fromage de tete

Here is a photo for ya!

[Image: Fromage_de_Tete_DC_t.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Food Question for all... by luvnit (Fromage de tete[br][...)
Quote:

Fromage de tete

Here is a photo for ya!

[Image: Fromage_de_Tete_DC_t.jpg]

Always reminded me of an opaque (?) stained glass window in various shades of beige (?). Not even more attractive than my corn beef pate'.
You're not going to believe this, but you can still buy this here at groceries stores. Not as colorful as the picture Laura posted, more like Bill's description. William recognized it right off the bat. He said Hooker's was made with the meat cut into smaller chunks, though. Then he wanted to know when I was going to make some. "I'd eat some right now with some vinegar." Athough, I think I could eat this before I could eat liver pudding. EWWWW!

Hey LJ, we also call it souse meat here. You can do a google search and come up with a lot of recipes. They're all pretty much the same. When you read them, you will understand why I always include the pig's feet in my daddy's Brunswick Stew. There is no gelatin product in the "stuff". The boiling liquid of the pig parts has the natural "gelatin" needed to congeal the "product". The pig's feet do the same thing to the Brunswick Stew...causing it to "thicken". REAL Brunswick Stew should be very thick, not soupy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.