Book Club - Suggestion
  Re: (...)
I just saw a book at Amazon I thought would be an interesting read and something to discuss. At least it would be for me. I love 'food history' and this book seems to be all about that.

The United States of Arugula: The Sun Dried, Cold Pressed, Dark Roasted, Extra Virgin Story of the American Food Revolution (Paperback)

[Image: 51AXYZxdfVL._AA240_.jpg]

Quote:

Review

“With the sweep of an epic novel, David Kamp takes us behind the scenes and into the sweaty, wacky, weird trenches of the Great American Food Revolution. His reporting is solid, his storytelling magnificent, and his good humor is seemingly inexhaustible . . . . a terrific book.” —Molly O’Neill

“Culturally aware and cleverly written, this anatomy of the French-fried versus sun-dried tension at the heart of American gastronomy is refreshingly non-snooty.”
—Atlantic Monthly

"A page-turner filled with fascinating footnotes, a delicious dish about bold-faced names, and an in-depth look at the ways in which a series of food pioneers touched off a revolution." —USA Today

“Juicy, irreverent, and full of bite.” —Gael Greene

Book Description

The wickedly entertaining, hunger-inducing, behind-the-scenes story of the revolution in American food that has made exotic ingredients, celebrity chefs, rarefied cooking tools, and destination restaurants familiar aspects of our everyday lives.

Amazingly enough, just twenty years ago eating sushi was a daring novelty and many Americans had never even heard of salsa. Today, we don't bat an eye at a construction worker dipping a croissant into robust specialty coffee, city dwellers buying just-picked farmstand produce, or suburbanites stocking up on artisanal cheeses and extra virgin oils at supermarkets. The United States of Arugula is a rollicking, revealing stew of culinary innovation, food politics, and kitchen confidences chronicling how gourmet eating in America went from obscure to pervasive—and became the cultural success story of our era.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Book Club - Suggestion by luvnit (I just saw a book at...)
Hey, that sound really interesting! I think I may order this when I order my other one just for fun! (I know, I may be late with my next review.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, that sound real...)
Works for me, I already worked my way through Last Supper. Wasn't exactly what I thought it would be.
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by iBcookin (Works for me, I alre...)
I would have loved to be the dish washer at that dinner.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Book Club - Suggestion by luvnit (I just saw a book at...)
Quote:

The United States of Arugula

Would you say the sales are *ahem* rocketing?

("Rocket" is what the Australians, et al, call arugula.)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I received a new cookbook from my niece yesterday, "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Bishop. It begins with Artichokes and ends with Yuca and Zucchini. It discusses various veggies I've never heard of and gives 3 or 4 [or more] recipes for each vegetable. I've already got my eye on one for Chard, or maybe two
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by bjcotton (I received a new coo...)
AW, Billy! Not another one! And me CRAVING veggies right now! And soon to plant the garden....(New moon on April 4th!)

Off to look into modifying my order, once again!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by Gourmet_Mom (AW, Billy! Not anot...)
I am so jealous that somebody can plant a garden in April when I have to wait another TWO whole months!!!
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, that sound real...)
Well, let's see what others have to say. I think I will order this book anyway. It really sounds like a great book!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Book Club - Suggestion by luvnit (Well, let's see what...)
I've heard of this book, but haven't ordered it yet. It would be a fun one for the next read...which would take us into what month.....June?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com