Leek and Walnut Fritters
  Re: (...)
I can't believe I've been sitting on this recipe for over a year!! Hate it when that happens. These are really very good and it works to make them the day before - which makes them even better. I made half a batch and shaped them quite small (one to two bites worth), so I had 20-24 with just that amount.

I served them as an Asian hors with Wasabi oil, Wasabi mayo (recipe below), pickled ginger and sweet chili sauce. All were great with the fritters and the fritters were gone immediately.

Oh, just before deep frying I coated them with a little more panko and seemed to make them a little more interesting to look and, and just little more crunchy with the smooth, creamy inside.

Leek and Walnut Fritters
Bon Appétit, December 2006

Make the fritters a day ahead, then fry them quickly before serving. What to drink: A crisp white with citrus and herb flavors would be perfect; try the Jim Barry 2006 "Silly Mid On" Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon blend (Australia, $17).

Makes 22 to 24 servings.

12 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 10 medium)
3/4 cup (or more) panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)*
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus lemon wedges for garnish
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Vegetable oil (for frying)

*Available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Cook leeks in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain very well and cool. Working in batches, wrap leeks in kitchen towels and squeeze out all liquid. Place leeks in processor and blend to coarse paste. Transfer leeks to large bowl. Add 3/4 cup panko, eggs, lemon juice, baking powder, salt, and pepper; blend well. Mix in nuts. Add more panko by tablespoonfuls if mixture is very moist.

Shape 3 tablespoons leek-walnut mixture into 1/2-inch-thick patty.

-----
I found this in my MasterCook, so we all probably have it - it's tasty - will have to try with crab cakes also.

Avocado Wasabi Mayonnaise

2 tablespoons Hot NAMIDA Wasabi paste
1 avocado -- peeled, seeded and puréed
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Pinch salt
Pinch sugar
Pinch black pepper

Combine all ingredients well and chill.

Serve with Crab Cakes.

Source:
"New Zealand Wasabi Limited"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Leek and Walnut Fritters by cjs (I can't believe I've...)
That sounds like a lovely hors----printed. Thanks, Jean.

Just a little info for those of you that do not have access to Panko---you can order through the Baker's Catalogue...I just ordered another 4 bags for Mom to ***** along in our next care package.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Leek and Walnut Fritters by cjs (I can't believe I've...)
Goodness, I love leeks! The Avocado Mayo sounds wonderful, too! I can imagine using that for other things as well! William would love it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Leek and Walnut Fritters by Gourmet_Mom (Goodness, I love lee...)
And lucky for Roxanne - they are so light, shipping them doesn't break the bank!!

Me too, Daphne, the mayo is going to be fun to play with this summer. It really bugs me all the recipes implanted into MasterCook that I haven't run across yet! Probably take a lifetime.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Leek and Walnut Fritters by cjs (And lucky for Roxann...)
I know, that's what I'm working on now. Picking out my menus/projects to try this week. What a job! I won't make it through it all, but I hope to make a dent in my To Try book, at least.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Leek and Walnut Fritters by cjs (And lucky for Roxann...)
" the mayo is going to be fun to play with "

Devilled eggs!!!! He made a wasabi mayo, and added a bit to the yolk mixture. I really like the addition of the avocado. I'd like to try it with grilled scallops. Geez, the whole appetizer sounds great. Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Leek and Walnut Fritters by Lorraine (" the mayo is going ...)
yeah, not a hard cooked egg around here to play with...sigh!

Scallops? yes!
www.achefsjourney.com