BBQ Question
  Re: (...)
I'm trying to do a BBQ Corned Beef. Here are the directions:

"Take the brisket after it is done brining and pat it dry. rub it with a dry barbecue rub, preferably one without salt, since the brining will add pretty much. after it has set for about an hour or 2, get a grill up to about 500 dgrees and place the brisket over the direct heat for about 6-7 minutes to crust it the turn and repeat on the other side.

close down the vents and wrap the brisket in heavy foil and add 2 thinly sliced onions and about 1/2 cup of wickers marinade/ barbecuing sauce. cook at about 325-350 for 3 hours, periodically adding marinade to keep a small amount of liquid in the package. after 3 hrs, remove from the package and mop with a thick tomato based sauce( I like to use Gates' from KC) aand cook until the sauce drys and crusts(it's okay for it to be a little burned on the outside. let it rest on a cutting board for about 15-20 minutes then slice thin across the grain.

This can be aproximated in the oven, but there is a clear difference."

When you consider a brisket is an average of 8 pounds, and my little corned beef is only 4, can I cut the time "after it has set for about an hour or 2" and "cook at about 325-350 for 3 hours," in half? I hope so, otherwise my dinner is gonna be kinda late. (I actually had it time right, but did not register the time sitting with rub.)

Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: BBQ Question by Gourmet_Mom (I'm trying to do a B...)
I am going out on a limb and saying yes. I would as long as you are sure you are dealing with a recipe geared for an 8 POUND chunk of meat...that is the key.

If it is for a BBQ'd Corned Beef I am shocked to see it for 8 pounds as I have never seen an 8 pound corned beef brisket. As for a straight up beef brisket for smoking slow and low 8 pounds is about right. I am assuming the 8 pounds is BOTH parts I mentioned in a different thread on this topic. You most likely have only a part of the brisket as the "corned beef." The most you will do is eat late. Plan some quick appetizers and you're all set. Some drinks too.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: BBQ Question by Gourmet_Mom (I'm trying to do a B...)
Daphne, I am not the best judge on this one, but, the thing about briskets is the low slow cooking. The longer you cook the more tender it becomes. Same with corned beef - I cook on the stove at least 3 hours or in the crock 6 hours.

So technically yours may be done, but it might not have reached it's most tender. But, the full time - might be too long. Guess I really don't know. Should have kept my mouth shut!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by firechef (I am going out on a ...)
This is from the Smoke Ring forum, and if you look back at the very beginning of the directions, it sounds like they are corning their own brisket. This is what I'm basing my assumption on.
Daphne
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by Gourmet_Mom (This is from the Smo...)
I tend to agree. As a member over there I know they do a lot of their own stuff. I also know they use lots of whole muscle cuts of meat so it is likely it is a whole brisket and not just a piece like we commonly buy at the store.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by firechef (I tend to agree. As...)
Oh yeah, my best advise, COOK IT 'TIL IT'S DONE!
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by Gourmet_Mom (This is from the Smo...)
Well, I'm going with it. But I won't go to the final step until the thing is tender...late or not.
Daphne
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I'm going with...)
That is where some apps and drinks will take their mind off of the meal running slow if needed. Keep 'em drunk and semi-full and they will not complain...too much.
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by firechef (That is where some a...)
I think Jean's rolls and some leftover ham with grainy mustard and Swiss outta cover the appies. Drinks are always coverd...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: BBQ Question by Gourmet_Mom (I think Jean's rolls...)
I have to disagree - an 8 lb . brisket will be larger, but maybe not that much thicker....just my opinion.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com