Pickled Ginger
  Re: (...)
Found my old recipes for making pickled ginger yesterday and I'm almost sure I've made this before, but, CRS...anyway, I did make two batches yesterday and it will be ready today.

I'm looking for an hors (I have plenty of ideas, it'll be trying to decide which to use) to have this afternoon with some of it. Altho, it is good just out of the jar.

Here's the recipes, if anyone is interested. It is expensive to buy, so...

#1 -
Amazu Shoga (Pickled Pink Ginger)

1/3 pound fresh young ginger -- scraped (look for pieces with a pinkish skin)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Using a sharp knife or a Beriner cutter, shave the ginger into paper-thin slices. In a small, airtight container, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Blanch the ginger for 30 seconds in boiling water. Drain ginger; cool. If desired, reserve the liquid for cooking purposes.

Add the cooled ginger to the vinegar mixture; mix well. Store marinating ginger in the refrigerator. Pickled ginger can be eaten after 24 hours of marinating. It will keep several weeks. Good with either sushi or noodles. Add marinade to salads or sauces.

someone's note on my recipes reads: "why I didn't salt it...because I want to have that sharp ginger taste. If I had salted it, it will lose the hot, sharp taste."

Since the other one does not call for salt, I went ahead and added salt to this one and we'll see the difference.
-----

Pickled Ginger

1/2 cup fresh ginger -- sliced paper thin with vegetable peeler
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Stir all ingredients together in nonreactive stainless steel pan or glass saucepan and bring to a boil.

Let mixture cool to room temperature and chill overnight. (Pickled ginger keeps for several months in the refrigerator.)

Serving Ideas : Serve with Grilled Pacific Salmon or Sushi.

----

Licking fingers right after mixing all together, #2 was the winner, but we'll see later today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pickled Ginger by cjs (Found my old recipes...)
Looks like a trip to San Francisco Market is in order for lots of pickled ginger. We just like to shred it up on top of rice cooked in coconut milk with some thinly sliced scallions. Jeeze our friend Bill ate darn near the whole bowl - there were no left overs!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by Harborwitch (Looks like a trip to...)
Make it Sharon!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by cjs (Make it Sharon!...)
It will be on the project list!!
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by Harborwitch (It will be on the pr...)
The Pink Pickled Ginger I bought at the SF Market, Sharon, was really salty...almost inedible. After rinsing it thoroughly it was barely edible. Just for your info.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by bjcotton (The Pink Pickled Gin...)
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll just make my own from now on - that fixes the problem!
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by Harborwitch (Thanks for the heads...)
How long does this stuff last do you think?
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by DFen911 (How long does this s...)
It lasts several months - I know I've never thrown it away, but then we do use it semi-often.

Our little test included making a Soy-Wasabi Sauce and adding it to the yolks for deviled eggs, along with a little smoked salmon, mayo & s&p.

Also had a scrap of salmon in the freezer and roasted it with a little lemon juice, b. sugar and sprinkling of basil - napped the plate with the Soy-Wasabi sauce and had both the dishes garnished with both kinds of the pickled ginger. The black garnish is Nori strips.

[Image: ginger.jpg]

P. ginger #1 - the one with rice vinegar, sugar and salt was really hot! and the flavor was real sharp. Used in small quantities this might be a nice addition to some dishes, but I wasn't real happy with it. But, one problem might have been my fault - I wasn't happy with the thickness (or thinness ) of the ginger slices - I didn't feel I got it right until the 2nd batch)

P. ginger #2 - with the white vinegar, rice wine vinegar and sugar (NO salt)was our favorite - hands down. It was like the purchased p. ginger that we eat like candy. Also noted on the recipe (or somewhere) the ginger will eventually turn pink as is the commercial a pretty pink.

All in all, we really liked our plate of testings - I will use this sauce again in deviled eggs, that's for sure!

Here's the recipe for the Sauce - it's also in your MasterCook - (I didn't bother making the mayo for this time, I just used about 1/2 cup of mayo)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Soy-Wasabi Sauce
Serving Size : 10

6 tablespoons Hot NAMIDA wasabi paste
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sake or dry sherry

In medium bowl, whisk oil into egg yolk gradually, a drop at a time, to make a thick mayonnaise.

Then add the wasabi paste and whisk in remaining ingredients.

Serving Ideas : Serve with Grilled Pacific Salmon.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Ginger by cjs (It lasts several mon...)
Jean, Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipes and the reviews!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.