Serves 2-3--from Fine Cooking, vol74
2 oz pancetta, cut into 1/4 in dice
1-2 T ev olive oil
10 oz Brussels sprouts (about 18), trimmed and halved thru the core
1/4 C low cost balsamic vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
2 T unsalted butter
kosher salt

In a heavy saute pan over med -low heat slowly cook the pancetta in one T of oil until golden and crisp-10-15 min. With a slotted spoon transfer the pancetta to a plate lined with paper to drain. You should have 2 T fat in the pan--if not , add remaining oil.. Have ready 1/2 C water. Put pan over med-high heatand arrange sprouts cut side down in a single layer. Cook until nicely browned, 2-3 min. When browned add water, cover and simmer until sprouts are tender, abt 3 min. Add more water to finish if necessery. With slotted spoon transfer sprouts to a plate.
Return pan to heat and boil off all water over med high heat- add the vinegar and boil until reduced to 2 T--about 2 min. Reduce heat to low, add butter and stir until melted. Return sprouts and pancetta to pan and coat with sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by Old Bay (Serves 2-3--from Fin...)
I may not be Erin but this looks work trying and therefore is copied and packed away near Jean's Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe she posted a while back on another forum...never liked Brussels Sprouts until that recipe...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by Old Bay (Serves 2-3--from Fin...)
Oooh. Great! Thanks.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by esgunn (Oooh. Great! Thank...)
You know, I never liked these things, but a while back I tried them roasted...like asparagus with garlic. Well, my family STILL didn't like them...I did. I need to try Jean's recipe and this one soon and see if I can get past their prejudice. Maybe I can get William if I tell him they're "in season" and cheaper than other greens...LOL! Copied and thanks Bill!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I never li...)
These are good before adding the balsamic--had them last week--first sprouts Jane ever liked!! I will have to try Jeans--I didn't see that recipe.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
This is similar to our favorite Brussels sprout recipe. It was in an earlier C@H. We crisp some Prosciutto. Roast or grill the Brussels sprouts tossed in EVO. The deglaze the pan used for the prosciutto with lemon juice and toss the grilled Brussels sprouts in the lemon. It is wonderful!
  Re: Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by HomeCulinarian (This is similar to o...)
HC - we love that one too! If I don't have prociuto, I just use bacon. If I dont' have that - just cut in half, roast with Olive oil and salt, and sprinkle with lemon.

This is my go to recipe for Brussel Sprouts. Hubby and I love them, so I am always interested in finding other ways to prepare them.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by Old Bay (These are good befor...)
Here is Jean's recipe....she did use meatballs in this once if memory serves me correctly?

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dijon Cream Sauce

Toss:
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
2 cups red onions, cut into wedges
8 oz. kielbasa, 1/2 inch thick slices (subbed mini meatballs from home made bulk sausage)
2 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper

Simmer:
1/2 cup heavy cream (subbed canned milk-no heavy cream)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 T. honey
1 t. apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 450�.

Toss sprouts, onions, and kielbasa in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast 20 minutes (30 minutes was perfect), or until sprouts are tender, yet still crisp.

Simmer cream, mustard, honey, and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. To serve, spoon sauce over roasted sprouts.

Well here it is...I am sure Jean will be along to correct it in the morning if I copied it wrong.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by firechef (Here is Jean's recip...)
oooh, that one sounds good too! Copied, and we will try soon! Thanks for posting.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: For Erin--Balsamic-Glazed Brussels/Pancetta by esgunn (oooh, that one sound...)
I've used that sauce on darn near everything! It's wonderful!

Bill, yours is copied also - sounds really good, I probably have the recipe around here somewhere, just went thru all my old magazines and tore out interesting ones and this one would have gotten my attention, that's for sure.

As long as we're on Brussels sprouts, here's a real old one that is SOOOOO bad for you, but oh, so good!

* Exported from MasterCook *

BRUSSEL SPROUTS & CHESTNUTS
Barbara Ellsworth, San Jose, the '60s
Serving Size : 6

1 lbs. brussels sprouts -- (1 to 1 1/2)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup light cream
4 ozs grated Bonbel cheese
11 ozs water chestnuts -- drained & sliced
salt & pepper
2 Tbsps sherry
4 strips bacon -- cubed & fried crisp

Cook sprouts in salted boiling water till tender; drain.
Melt butter & stir in flour. Gradually add broth, cream & sherry - cook over low heat, stirring constantly till mix bubbles & thickens.
Add Cheese, continue cooking till cheese is melted.

Fold in sprouts & chestnuts.
Add S&P to taste and serve w/crumbled bacon.

Prep ahead - heat in 325° oven for ~45 min.
---
Now a days, I'd roast the sprouts instead of boiling in water.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com