Would This Be A Help?
  Re: (...)
or redundant??

O.K., this is my Roquefort dressing for 'the book' and if you are a roquefort (or blue) cheese dressing fan, you probably also like lumpy dressing, not a smooth, hard-to-distinguish-there's-cheese-in-there dressing, right?

I'm thinking about adding pictures to some of the recipes that seem to need a tip or two for clarification. Please take a minute and see if this is one that needs any extra help by way of pictures and let me know. Thanks guys - you have no idea how much I appreciate you all!

ROQUEFORT DRESSING
Description:
"My mother always made this dressing in a large dinner plate that had a little depth to it - so, I have one dinner plate just like that - doesn't match anything else in house - that I keep just for this dressing."

3 -4 oz. packages Roquefort cheese (you can also use Bleu cheese)
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 heaping Tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon onion, grated
1 clove garlic, -- minced
3 drops tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

In a dinner plate with an edge or a very shallow dish, smash the cheese with a fork.
Add the buttermilk, one tablespoon at a time, combining with the fork.
Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing as you add each.
Combine all together, but keep the beautiful lumps of cheese intact.

(I've added the below note to the recipe, but which would be better - this note or the pictures?)

Don't be tempted to use a processor, blender, mixer, or any mechanical device - you'll ruin the dressing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cook's tip (or somesuch title for these things...):

Using a fork will enable you to have nice chunks for the dressing, so don't overmix.
[Image: dressingone.jpg]

At this point, add the rest of the ingredients to the plate
[Image: dresisngtwo.jpg]

...and this is your dressing.
[Image: dressingthree.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Would This Be A Help? by cjs (or redundant??[br][b...)
Jean, your third photo didn't come through for me, but the first two did. Odd glitch of some kind...

I like your photos, but don't think they are necessary for a dressing. Most blue cheese fans like it chunky and wouldn't overmash the cheese, IMHO, especially if you say to leave some chunks in it. On the other hand, the first picture does show how to use the plate method for mixing, which could be useful to anyone who can visualize that.

Guess I'm not much help, huh?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I agree with Maryanne, Jean, pictures are nice but not necessary, if you're concerned about space. I would put the note in there, though, a lot of people may not think about the end result of using a blender....

You gave me (or us) that recipe before. I now use that as my go to recipe for blue.

PJ
PJ
Your explanation of how to make it, and the footnote, are very good. I would not need a picture for this one.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Would This Be A Help? by Lorraine (Your explanation of ...)
thanks a lot. Exactly what I wanted from ya'all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Would This Be A Help? by cjs (thanks a lot. Exactl...)
Sounds like a really good recipe. Curious why it's important to use the shallow dish to mix and serve in? Is it 'cause that's how momma did it?
  Re: Re: Would This Be A Help? by HomeCulinarian (Sounds like a really...)
exactly! and also, so that lumps are left in place - in a bowl, it's easy to switch to a whip or mixer....which is a big no no.

It is a great salad dressing!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Would This Be A Help? by cjs (exactly! and also, s...)
Now I want to go get my Blue Cheese Dressing recipe (actually the ORIGINAL Chart House Restaurant in San Diego's recipe BEFORE they became a coast to coast kind of thing) that my Mom's husband got from the original Chef when he was FOH Manager at The Chart House.

This is a keeper by the looks...I'll post mine later...I just needed a 667th post. No way I was leaving with 666!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Would This Be A Help? by firechef (Now I want to go get...)
Yikes...that was 666! Here is 667...I love blue cheese and the like but I don't think Holly does. There I mentioned food!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Would This Be A Help? by firechef (Yikes...that was 666...)
Geez, if you didn't talk so much you'd still worthwhile reading.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy