That grilled salmon recipe?
  Re: (...)
I'm trying to remember a recipe, from here I'm sure of it. It was a whole salmon filet, marinated in dill and pernod, and grilled I think or maybe planked??? I searched but couldn't find the one I'm thinking of. Any of you dear friends recall it?
Btw, my Aerogarden is whooping butt and I'm excited about using some of the dill
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by farnfam (I'm trying to rememb...)
All I could find in the searh of my MasterCook is a 'Halibut au Pernod' that Bill posted a while back - but no salmon and it doesn't call for dill, but...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by cjs (All I could find in ...)
Thanks Jean, y'know going over the old posts, I see I may have just imagined this recipe I did do some kind of a dill/penod marinade tho' so I'll try to do that again, also I'm pretty sure I incorporated that salmon rub recipe you posted. We must have grilled it, cuz it seems too big to have planked. But maybe not.
So that's probbly what I'm going to try to do again. Question: Would it be okay to try to turn the marinade into a creammy sauce after the fish is done with it? I was thinking like a nage type?
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by farnfam (Thanks Jean, y'know ...)
I've never made a 'nage' sauce - heard of it,but not familiar with it.

The marinade could be turned into a nice creamy sauce.

Just checked out nage sauce - Cis, you've created a monster here, does this sound good or what!

Seared Sea Scallops with Osietra Caviar & Citrus Nage Sauce Watercress, Frisee and Crispy Proscuitto Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette--Serves 4

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of butter
12 large sea scallops-rinsed and dried well
kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
pinch of sugar
1 oz. Osietra caviar

Citrus Nage Sauce
1 shallot-minced
juice & zest of 1 lemon
juice & zest of 1 orange
¼ cup of white wine
2 tablespoons of heavy cream
4 tablespoons of unsalted cold butter-cut into small pieces
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Watercress & Frisee Salad with Crispy Proscuitto, Champagne Vinaigrette
1 teaspoon of shallot-minced
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
¼ cup of champagne vinegar
½ teaspoon of sugar
pinch of dry thyme
pinch of kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 thinly sliced pieces of imported Parma proscuitto
1 bunch of watercress-leaves and small stems only, rinsed & spun
1 bunch of frisee, stems removed, rinsed and spun

Procedure
Step 1-Make citrus nage sauce
Place first four sauce ingredients into a sauce pan over high heat and reduce until there is only about two tablespoons of liquid remaining. Add heavy cream and reduce about two more minutes. Turn stove off and whisk in cold pieces of butter. Keep near the stove to keep warm. Do not reheat the sauce or it will break.

Step 2-Prep the salad
Make the vinaigrette first by combining the first seven salad ingredients into a small bowl, slowly whisk in the olive oil and set aside. Place the proscuitto on a large plate lined with a paper towel and place it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until very crispy. Place watercress and frisee in a bowl and keep chilled in the refrigerator.

Step 3-Scallops
Heat the butter in a large sauté pan until smoking. Season scallops with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. (This is a trick the restaurants use to get the scallops caramelized and sweet). Cook about three minutes on each side until deep golden brown and turn to brown other side.

Step 4-Plating & Presentation
I like to use a large square or rectangular white plate for this dish. Dress your lettuces lightly with about two tablespoons of the vinaigrette and gently toss. Place a small mound of the salad on the corner of the plate and garnish with broken pieces of the crispy proscuitto. Next place three scallops on the plate in a diagonal line about two inches apart from one another. Drizzle the scallops lightly with the citrus nage sauce and top with a small dollop of the caviar. *Note: This citrus nage sauce is also excellent on fish and shrimp. You can also use baby greens, mache or microgreens for the salad.

-----

Oh my, I'm just drooling here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by cjs (I've never made a 'n...)
Jean, this sounds great! I love the sound of that sauce! I've got a question, though. What is the difference between a Nage Sauce and a Buerre Blanc?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this sounds gr...)
Oh Jean, that does sound heavenly!!
Daphne, I only just discovered "nage sauce" but it seems like it's got herb infused broth, otherwise it's quite like Buerre Blanc, isn't it? Jean?
So, I think I'm going to take my dill/pernod marinade and add shallots, reduce, add butter etc. and go for a nice creamy nage type sauce for over my planked (yes, found a board it will fit on!) salmon. James suggested rice for a starch and asparagus for the veg, but I'm not sold on those two for sure yet, any other ideas??
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by farnfam (Oh Jean, that does s...)
I like to do rice with salmon. I do it with a twist...saute up some onion or shallot, add basamati and saute until you get a little color and add stock, water or a combo....cook as usual. At the end, add the zest and sometimes a little of the juice of a lemon and chopped parsley. I have also added pine nuts with the rice with good results, too. They kinda plump up (AND they don't burn...LOL!) Doing it this way, my family doesn't miss having a gravy or sauce. I also like a creamy polenta or grits with fish.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by farnfam (Oh Jean, that does s...)
I absolutely love asparagus with salmon. Jeeze Jean that sounds so good. I think Jerry gave us a bottle of Pernod - might have to dig it out.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by Harborwitch (I absolutely love as...)
This is wonderful...anyone want to have me over and we'll cook this together as I am going to miss out due to Holly hating salmon, again...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: That grilled salmon recipe? by firechef (This is wonderful......)
"but it seems like it's got herb infused broth, otherwise it's quite like Buerre Blanc" - this is what I'm thinking also, Cis.

O.K., Capt. Jay just pulled in the driveway, so looks like lobster is on for today - but, tomorrow!

I love angel hair pasta with lemon zest with fish also. and coleslaw. and.....
www.achefsjourney.com