My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised
  Re: (...)
36th Birthday Brussels Sprouts

I ate something similar to this at a restaurant on my 36th birthday. It took a few months to work this recipe out, but now it is an easy and delicious way to serve up this wonderful vegetable. I use a shallow calphalon stock pot with steamer insert for this recipe.

Ingredients:

1 Cube Challenge unsalted butter
2 Dozen (potentially less based on the size of your pan) medium sized fresh brussels sprouts
shallots
pre-cooked bacon
minced garlic

Method:

First, wash and carefully clean the brussels sprouts. Then trim them carefully as well. Keep in mind that the more of the base you trim, the more they have a tendency to fall apart. Less is more! Then halve the sprouts and set them cut-side down in your steamer.

Finely dice 1/4 cup shallots, 1/4 cup bacon, 1/4 cup garlic, set aside.

Steam brussels sprouts. You do not want to cook them all the way through, but leave them in until they are bright green. Only takes about 5 minutes. Effectively, a steam blanch. If you cook them too much here, you will certainly overcook them in the second step.

Set aside steamed brussels sprouts. Melt butter, add shallots, bacon and garlic.

I prefer challenge butter because it takes the heat well without browning or burning.

If you like, you can increase your amounts of shallots, bacon and garlic. Just try to keep the proportions even. The mixture is really quite tasty, and you may find yourself wanting more, a problem that is easily solved.

Once the butter is melted and you have cooked the bacon, shallots and garlic for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat (to soften and release flavors, don't brown), reduce heat to low, and spread mixture out evenly on the botom of your pan or pot. Then set your partially cooked brussels sprouts cut-side down in the mixture. Let them simmer at low heat for 15-20 minutes, taking care not to overcook them. Optional: season sprouts with a touch of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Serve hot with the tasty bacon/shallot/garlic mixture drizzled over the top.

Excellent with beef or lamb.
  Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by jeffdubya (36th Birthday Brusse...)
Thanks for sharing Jeff! I hope to get my crowd to try them again!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for sharing J...)
good flavors.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by jeffdubya (36th Birthday Brusse...)
I love Brussel sprouts. Thanks for the recipe.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by luvnit (I love Brussel sprou...)
That is a very similar recipe to the one I make...the only difference is that I slice/shred the sprouts, put them in the steamer and once they are limp and the water has absorbed, I toss in the extra ingredients dubya adds----YUMM!! Peter devours these and he is not much of a Brussels man---except if they are cooked to mush (whole) with a tad of butter and dill....good too if the sprouts are a little more crunchy. Love them roasted!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by Roxanne 21 (That is a very simil...)
I have personally tried brussels sprouts recipes where they are both whole and chopped. Personally, I prefer them whole. What is the great unknown to me is why some are so bitter. I have never been able to figure this out. I don't know if it is under or overcooking, size, who knows???

Anyone have some insight?
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by jeffdubya (I have personally tr...)
Here's another recipe I have tried.

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/12/19/lucy...s-sprouts/

"Lucy's Brussels Sprouts"
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by jeffdubya (Here's another recip...)
And now a politically correct fairy tale... we shouldn't even be talking about brussels sprouts... since they make us fart, they are responsible for (gasp) GLOBAL WARMING. Whoda thunkit?

http://www.greendaily.com/2007/12/20/bru...-totally-gross/
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by jeffdubya (And now a politicall...)
Along with the cows--they don't eat sprouts--but they do fart--they have mind of their own--it's Mother Nature and don't mess with her. Recipe looks great!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: My Brussels Sprouts Recipe I Promised by Old Bay (Along with the cows-...)
Blame it on DUBYA!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy